No announcement yet.

Suzuki 6 horsepower White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok so raising the motor makes a big difference. I brought it up a half inch above the bottom of the boat. I actually got it on plane with only myself and gear maybe 20mph. I had to throw my weight to the front of the boat until I picked up speed and then it held. Yes I tried stopping sevrel times and trimming it. The best trim was straight down. I might try raising the motor another inch. The boat squats down really bad in the back even with the trim all the way down. I doubt I will get it to plane with two people in the boat. Alot of dialing in still to do.

Comment

Still annoyed that the motor is clearly under powered they basically sold me a 4hp and tryed to call it a 6 hp and stateing the shaft is 15" when its 18" causing me to have to build a transom is ridiculous. I give Suzuki 3 outta 10 only because it starts when you pull the cord.

Comment

What is the model number, and engine serial number on the plate attached to the leg? This tells you what hp the engine is.

I am having trouble figuring out your rage with Suzuki - if the supplier sold you a 4hp instead of a 6hp, and Also sold you one with a different length to what you ordered, then its on them, not Suzuki.....

And if it is actually a 6hp, it will be 6hp, tested and rated to US CARB requirements.

If you can see the carby part number, the 6hp part number is 13200-97L20
        Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-04-2020, 04:01 AM.

Comment

It's a DF6A can't see the carb number without taking it off. It's a short shaft, there short shaft is 18" long. I wouldn't say I have rage more extremely disappointed. The last outboard I owned was a Johnson 4hp it was as good if not better than this alleged 6 horsepower and for the price I paid I expected more.
          Attached Files

Comment

the engine label states 4.4hp maximum thar means no matter what carb you put on it the maximum hp is 4.4 that's what the internal parts are rated for and all it can do. So there you go Suzuki is selling 4.4hp motors and slapping a 6hp sticker on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dnewsome2 View Post
              the engine label states 4.4hp maximum thar means no matter what carb you put on it the maximum hp is 4.4 that's what the internal parts are rated for and all it can do. So there you go Suzuki is selling 4.4hp motors and slapping a 6hp sticker on them.
              Your photo is so blurry its impossible to read, but anyway .....

The engine produces 4.4KW my friend - which equals 5.9hp..... So there you go!

The engine is available in 2 shaft lengths. S = 15” or L = 20”.

Get the engine height set correctly, then get the correct prop so it revs to the proper range. Max rev = 5750 so aim to het near that. One of those cheap “tiny tachs” can help you with seeing the actual revs achieved.
              Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-04-2020, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Short shaft is 18" no two ways about it.

Comment

As explained to me, there is no industry standard for measuring shaft length. My Johnson 15 20" was really 21+ as it sat on my transom. Some transoms have more angle, some less. That will change the effective shaft length. My Suzuki 25 20" sits a full 3 inches below the bottom of the same boat. That makes it about a 22+" shaft. The 20" transom of this boat is actually 19" I do wish they would all use the same ruler to measure.

It's a lot easier to raise the motor than lower it. Lowering it would involve cutting the transom. That might be easy on some boats but not an option on the boat I have. So, Suzuki makes them a little long.

You are doing the right thing. Raise it until it works. It might need a different prop too. Most important, pass on what you did to help others.

How was Porta-boat to buy from? I want to get a DF20 and they are on my list. Cheapest price there. They are the same company as suzukioutboardteam. Same phone number and address anyway.

Comment

They were good I don't necessarily blame them other than they actually stated on the website the shaft length was 15 in leading me to believe that's what it was, why not just tell a guy what it really measures?t raising the motor really made a difference to anyone out there reading this that is wondering. I've determined that one of the main problems is the hull design on my boat.I'm considering selling this and getting a 12 foot flat bottom jon boat or maybe even a 14. If anyone out there with experience can tell me if t this six horsepower Suzuki will push a 14 foot flat bottom Jon boat up onto plane with two people in it would be great.

Comment

I have a Carolina Skiff J14. It is a flat bottom fiberglass john boat. I know for a fact it couldn't get on plane with two people and a 15hp Johnson. I have a 25hp Suzuki V-twin on it now and it is too much. Mainly because it's too fast for my kids and a little heavier than Ilike. I'm not comfortable letting them loose unsupervised. I have one bench seat in it and that is it. I didn't really work with the 15 hp that much because the 25 Suzuki came along and there are few problems that more HP can't solve. Plus it is a V-twin and idles like a Harley. I have no desire to ride a Harley but they do sound great.

Based on posts on the Carolina Skiff forum. the J14 is tricky boat to get balanced and set up. Very few similar complaints with J16. It is a little heavier than an aluminum john boat but only by 20-30 pounds, I think.

I'm thinking of getting the 9.9 and converting it to 20hp based on a post here. Others have done it out there. I don't really save any money over the 20hp but I want a white motor and it is not available in the 20hp

Comment

Thanks for the info. I found a 10 ft alumacraft flat bottom for think it weighs about 90 pounds $300 in my area I think I'm going to go look at tomorrow. Kind of wanted at least a 12-footer.I'm wondering if the extra two feet
                        would help its buoyancy and get it up on plane better. At the 10-footer it seems like all the wait would be shifted to the back not sure......

Comment

Oh man I bought a nice alumacraft 1032 for 300.00!!! That 6hp will make this boat move. I'ma have fun with this until I find a nice 1240. I shouldn't have any problem selling this and getting my money back.
                          Attached Files

Comment

A DF4 is a DF6, both 138cc engines. The DF6 gets it's power @ 5250 RPM vs 4200 for the DF4

I wouldn't fret too much about which carb is on the motor, they most likely are same anyways, the DF6 would just not have a restrictor plate installed.

Comment

I was looking at buying a fuel tank and hose. Do I need a fuel demand valve?

Comment

Does anyone know if a Yamaha or Mercury connector will fit this df6a motor?

Comment

Working...
                                X