Suzuki 6 horsepower White

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suzuki 6 horsepower White

I bought a new 6 horsepower Suzuki df6a the white one, im very disappointed. It's on a sundolfin water tender 9.4ft boat and will only go about 6-8 mph with two people. Yes I tried all the trim settings and distributed the weight evenly. My question is I bought a short shaft but the short shaft in reality is 18 in long The transom is 15 inches so essentially the cavitation plate is at least 3 inches below the bottom of the boat plus when you try and accelerate of course it buries the back of the boat even lower. Would it be beneficial to raise the transom and get the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat? The motor seem to be running well. I was hoping that by raising the cavitation platel this would raise the rpms it seems like its bogging and not reaching the correct 4700-5700 rpm.
    Last edited by Dnewsome2; 05-30-2020, 03:46 PM.

The only 6hp I have ran is an old 2 stroke 2 cylinder Johnson. On a 13'er it would get it on plane with 2 guys in the boat.

I would think your Prop Pitch is off, and raise the motor as high as possible. 6-8mph doesn't even sound like it is getting on plane.

Comment

I was thinking about changing the prop if needed after raising the motor up. I just wondering if raising the motor would really make any difference I heard it will help increase rpms but I don't know if that's true.

Comment

Yes, move the motor up first, to the transom, or slightly higher to start with. After that look at the prop.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Ok I'm in the process of finding our building a suitable jack plate. I'm also going to look into the throttle cable to make sure it's opening fully and if there is some type of emissions component. I had a 4.5 hp outboard on my Jon boat before that was way better than this motor. This motor was shipped from California I Wonder if it has California emissions or some garbage like that. Either way I know something is wrong. This motor is pathetic especially for paying 1700.00. pretty pissed off TBH. will post back if later when I make some progress, could be I while but I'll be sure to post back. Thanks for the help.

Comment

So I took a look at the throttle cable and discovered it has a horrible low-quality crap California emissions carburetor with the air and fuel mixture capped off. On the motor it says 4 horsepower Max so they sold me a 4 horsepower and try to pass it off as a 6 horsepower with a jacked up price. I am totally disgusted with Suzuki I will never buy a Suzuki product again..would appreciate it if you guys would pass this information on to anybody on this blog trying to buy one so they don't get burned. I should have just went and bought a Mercury....

Comment

They being a dealer or a private sale?

Comment

I bought it from Suzuki outboard. Com. They are an authorized Suzuki dealer.when it came the bands were busted on the box and I could tell it had been taken out I don't know if they ran it first to send it or what, I'm thinking maybe someone sent it back because they felt the same way I do about the piece of garbage.I tried contacting them but I really don't feel like I'm going to get anywhere with that. I'm probably going to have to buy the carburetor that I was already supposed to get I should have just bought the four horsepower and a carburetor or better yet bought a whole nother Brand This is such BS.

Comment

https://suzukioutboardteam.com/

Comment

Actually it came from a place called Porta boats

Comment

They are using the website Suzuki outboard team.com

Comment

https://www.porta-bote.com/
                        ​​​​

Comment

They said it was brand new came factory sealed it didn't, they said it had a 15 inch shaft it didn't, they didn't bother to say it would be all choked down with California emissions. Honestly this place should not be able to be a authorized Suzuki dealer if they are going to pull this kind of crap.

Comment

That sucks, Keep on then till you get what you paid for. Good luck.

Comment

I'm not sure, but I would think that raising the motor doesn't make much difference until the boat is on plane. Until that point, the drag of the motor's foot is probably not going to be significant relative to the drag of the hull under the water. I saw your comments on a YouTube review of the boat, where the reviewers got similar performance (688 MPH) with two young men in the same boat with a 5 HP motor. Feels like it may just not be enough motor for the boat.

Comment

Working...
                              X