DF4 "screech"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF4 "screech"

This DF4 had been a bit neglected. The clutch lever was seized, intake manifold cracked and thermostat gunged up. I fixed the clutch lever which involved taking off the power head etc and then putting back together with new gaskets. I then replaced the intake manifold and thermostat and did the other normal service items. Started it up and all went well. It is our auxiliary so I have started it and run it most trips but not pushed it or used it for long. The other day we had a battery problem with our main engine so had to use the DF4 to get back in. It ran well, plenty of flow at the tell tale but as can be heard made a screeching sound at higher revs. This only happened in forward gear - I pushed it a bit in reverse and no screeching. Any ideas please folks? I'm thinking it overheated in the past and something must have been damaged?

Sound more like a vibration to me. I would pull the engine cowling off and with a pair of gloves start checking everything looking for something lose. Just be careful you don’t lose a finger. If it’s not an external vibration take a large screwdriver put the handle to your ear and “probe” the engine with the driver part looking for an internal vibration. To check the lower unit you will have to run the engine on muffs. As far as overheating one would think the engine would screech in any gear?

Comment

Thank you...will try this next week...

Comment

It might not be the engine, the engine at at certain RPM could be causing a vibration elsewhere. If no vibration on the engine widen your search to the jackplate and behind the transom.

Comment

Working...
        X