Df40 water pump replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Df40 water pump replacement

I had a failed impeller with all the bells and whistles last weekend. Caught it before it overheated. Replaced the impeller, plate, and gasket but not having any luck getting a good flow from the pee hole. At first I had some but not as strong as I thought it should be. Pulled it apart again and thought maybe I didn't seat the impeller close to the plate so did that and possibly even less flow. Pulled it apart again thinking maybe I misread the direction to turn the shaft and got even less flow, so pulled it one more time with pretty much the same result. It does seem now that it's spitting a lot of air. I didn't use any gasket glue on the gasket or the plate. Could that cause a loss of suction?
    ​​​​​​

Have you tried testing it with the leg in a drum of water? Make sure the anti vent plate is at least 3” under water.

Sometimes they dont play nicely with the muffs.

Comment

It's actually in the lake. I must be missing something. This should go easier than this.

Comment

Originally posted by Mgfever View Post
        I had a failed impeller with all the bells and whistles last weekend. Caught it before it overheated. Replaced the impeller, plate, and gasket but not having any luck getting a good flow from the pee hole. At first I had some but not as strong as I thought it should be. Pulled it apart again and thought maybe I didn't seat the impeller close to the plate so did that and possibly even less flow. Pulled it apart again thinking maybe I misread the direction to turn the shaft and got even less flow, so pulled it one more time with pretty much the same result. It does seem now that it's spitting a lot of air. I didn't use any gasket glue on the gasket or the plate. Could that cause a loss of suction?
        ​​​​​​
        My service manual calls for silicon between the lower and mid units but when I replaced the water pump there was no silicone anywhere so I ignored the service manual and followed the factory’s lead and did not apply an silicone anywhere.

Comment

Understand about not using silicone but what about gasket sealant. I'm going to try grease as I don't have any sealant with me. I'm also going to try flushing the upper cavity. Wish me luck!

Comment

The gasket that comes with the water pump kit I did not use gasket sealant nor is it called for.

Comment

Thanks! I didn't have any but put a little coating of pipe dope on the gasket and plate. The flow is better but not what I was expecting. I thought originally it was a fairly strong flow. So far though, it seems to be cooling enough. I did pull the tstat thinking that might be plugged but it looked clean.

Comment

There might be some particles of sand or bits of the old impeller stuck in the telltale hose or outlet.

Get some heavy mono fishing line or weedeater nylon line and poke it up into the telltale while the engine is running. This can help dislodge errant particles and the water pressure then washes them out. You can go easily 6-8” up into the telltale.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter! I'll try that. I took it out last night around the lake without any problems but I'm still not sure everything is ok. I noticed that the telltale also has exhaust coming out of it. Is that normal or is it a sign of concern?

Comment

Working...
                  X