Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Suzuki DT225

Hello again everyone!

So I am having an electrical issue. Boat starts great and power is great, however I will lose power randomly. Complete halt off all electric to the motor. Trim wont work, and key does nothing. I noticed a buzzing noise coming from(excuse my lack of knowledge) a black box on the left side if you are looking at the motor from the deck of your boat. I was able to feel around and find the area that was vibrating and buzzing, and next to the black box is two clips and the female part of the clips were grey. These plugs were vertical.

Any ideas would be much appreciated!

Thomas

Thomas, many of us on this side of the computer are at a loss as to what you might be referring to. There are a number of items on the left side of most motors that are usually black. Maybe you should take a couple of pics of the left side of your motor showing the whole left side, then maybe a close-up of the item you feel is making the noises? Maybe we can give some ideas.

But, generally a problem like you are mentioning, where all electrical power is totally affected, could be related to poor, or dirty connections at your battery, or even at the battery switch (if you have one)? Look for signs of corrosion starting at these two items. Then start working your way back towards the motor, checking all connections?

If you are familiarized with how to use a volt meter, you might be able to identify where your problem might be by checking voltages, starting at the battery(ies), and working back towards the motor.

Also, intermittent voltage problems can be difficult to find, as you say sometimes it works (this is when voltage checks won't help, while it's working).

If you can isolate when the problem occurs, or if it is related to the motor getting warm/hot before the problem happens, it could help a little.

If the trim switch on the motor is also affected, when the problem occurs, that would point closer to the battery, or battery switch?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Working...
    X