Battery Cable Gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Cable Gauge

Looking to move my starting battery forward under the center console and will need to splice/extend the battery cable to do so. Want to get the butt connectors, terminals, and extension wire before I cut the stock cable. Can anyone tell me what gauge the existing cable is?
    Thanks -
    Joe C.

The cable that came with my DF-175 is #4 awg if you need to extend it I would use #2 awg & replace all of it. Butt splicing will cause voltage drop & increased amp draw.
    YMMV

Comment

I would contact TinnedMarineWire.com They make tinned wire leads with nickel coated eyes for terminals. Beautiful work with short turnaround. They don't corrode.

Briscoe Cain

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Should have mentioned that it's a DF90, stock cables look to be #4 but wasn't sure without cutting and gauging. Understand the voltage drop over the butt connector issue but was thinking (hoping?) it wouldn't be significant enough to cause starting/charging problems. I have an old set of car jumper cables I was thinking of using but it's #6 AWG, probably would make the voltage drop even worse.Will look at the TinnedMarineWire site. Thanks again to both -
        Joe C.

Comment

Working...
        X