Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DT8 service but what is this extra oil hole?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT8 service but what is this extra oil hole?

20200618_131521.jpg Hello all new member here seeking advice if possible. So I have an ancient 8hp 2 stroke DT8 1983 I beleive. I am awaiting a service kit to be delivered. So when looking at the lower leg to replace the gear oil I would normal drain from the very bottom screw, and fill up until oil comes out of the screw 3" or so above. Higher up the leg I also have another plug marked "Huile/Oil" what is this one for? do I fill from the very bottom of the leg to this higher than normal point? Picture attached. Thanks for any help given.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Jiggsteruk; 06-18-2020, 08:58 AM.

Pic didn't come through. "Higher up the leg" without the pic doesn't really help. Maybe a vent hole, or where the oil level should go to?

Might try to google "oil fill level for 1983 Suzuki dt8 outboard motor", or lookup a service manual for the motor?

Good luck.

Comment

Yes for some reason this forum doesnt like the pictures from my phone. I cant find a service manual to download for free. Bot sure if this will work...20200618_131521.jpg20200618_131521.jpg

Comment

I would fill from the bottom drain screw, to the very top "oil" screw hole. Ignore the "flush" and the smaller flat-head screw. Make sure to inspect/replace damaged washers on either screw, don't want water getting in gear case. The drain screw may have a magnetic tip, inspect/clean tip of any metal.

Good luck, post back on how it goes.

Comment

So what I done was drain the oil from the lowest screw, undo and fill from the “Huile/Oil” hole until oil came out the middle screw hole which is about 4” up from the lower one. Seems so have dropped and taken similar amounts of oil. Now, on to my next question post.

Comment

Working...
          X