Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring Schematic between Ignition Key, Kill-Switch, Remote Control and Wiring Harness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Schematic between Ignition Key, Kill-Switch, Remote Control and Wiring Harness

I'm embarking on a redesign of the console to my 2000 Hewes Flats boat that was re-powered back in 2014 with a Suzuki DFA90ATL. I'm looking for color coded schematics on wiring between the Suzuki remote control (with power trim-tilt [PTT]), key ignition, kill switch, and the Suzuki main wiring harness that runs up to the console from the engine.

Currently, I've only got a chart of wire color codings Suzuki uses (attached, unsure of its accuracy) as well as wiring specs that came with the new remote control, tach and fuel gauge. I'm reusing the ignition key, kill switch and of course main wiring harness that were installed in the 2014 re-power.

In the process of this console re-design I'm moving the key ignition and kill switch to the opposite side from the remote control where the re-power folks placed it in 2014. I should note that the folks that did the re-power did a poor job IMHO of wiring things and left me a rat's nest that I want to clean-up. In doing wiring projects like this I like using terminal blocks as common routing destinations to cleanly re-route wiring to/from, then use labeled heat shrink on each wire as I cut, splice and attach each wire to the terminal block (pic of a previous finished job attached)

Bottom line, I could really use some color-coded schematics between the ignition key, kill switch and of course main wiring harness since it will likely take adding several 2-3' jumpers (appropriately color coded wiring) between each of these components. As I've gathered from a basic inventory and inspection - the main wiring harness from the engine splits at the other end and essentially loops via its various connections .

Normally, I like to draw up what the finished product of a wiring project should look like (ya know, if I can draw it - I can build it) - [example drawing also attached of finished pic previously mentioned] before cutting, splicing, rerouting, etc...but the lack of clear schematics from where the main wiring harness from the engine splits has me stuck. Appreciate any assistance folks can provide.
    Outboard and Boat Enging Wiring Colors.jpg
    Stern Junction Box Schematic.jpg
    Stern Junction Box Complete.jpg

get yourself the service manual for your engine. there are some in-line sources or this web site has them available

the schematic is too difficult to try to replicate here Art

Comment

Originally posted by artdf175 View Post
      get yourself the service manual for your engine. there are some in-line sources or this web site has them available

the schematic is too difficult to try to replicate here Art
      Thanks Art, really appreciate your reply - found the manual for my engine with Jamestown Distributor yet I'm hesitant to buy. Wondering if you or others have any thoughts?

Is $75 reasonable for this manual? I've seen other manuals advertised as cheap as $16.

Second, will this manual have schematics to the level of detail I'm seeking? I've read in some posts that manuals don't have wiring schematics or very detailed ones.

Third, if the manual does have a wiring schematic - is it just a master overall or do they break them down into components like tach - fuel gauge - key - ignition?

Comment

I have a genuine Suzuki service manual and it has a very detailed wiring schematic. I think people run into issues with incomplete data with non Suzuki manuals. If it was me I’d bite the bullet and get a genuine Suzuki service manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
          I have a genuine Suzuki service manual and it has a very detailed wiring schematic. I think people run into issues with incomplete data with non Suzuki manuals. If it was me I’d bite the bullet and get a genuine Suzuki service manual.
          Cool. Thanks much Murray. In your (and any others that want to chime in) opinion is $75 reasonable or is there another route I should be following to track down a genuine Suzuki manual?

Comment

It seems $80US is the comments I’ve heard for a paper copy. There are some pdf’s floating around the internet for $15-$20 range for older models haven’t seen any newer model Suzuki’s but I haven’t looked...

Comment

$80 seems to be about right
              there are other manuals out there that are not Suzuki manuals, like Murray mentioned, and are very lacking in detail.
              If you are in a hurry there se some online type and you mahouts be able to find the electrical schematic. I am not 100% on this but think the wire colors are pretty consistent from model to model
              understand what you are doing, good luck
              Art

Comment

Much appreciated Art and Murray. Did a bit more internet digging and found on outfit near me here in FL called International Marine with the manual for $74 and only $9 shipping - the latter was a significant cost element with folks from further away who had it; seems the manual weighs over 2lbs. Should have the book by Wednesday at the latest to get started on drawing things up.

Thanks again for your input

Comment

Working...
                X