Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF115 2008 - TRIM/TILT problem

Hi,

Have a problem with the trim/tilt operation on my DF115.

Put it in the water last weekend, after the winter, and when lowering the engine it first went down smoothly but about halway down, just when it reached the highest "trim" level it just slowed down.
    The tilt-engine sounded like it was "running out of battery". But the boat started without any problems and even now, one week later it starts.
    So it doesn't seem to be a battery issue(? - or could the battery be ever so slightly dead that the start works but not the trim/tilt)

I could take the boat home that day, and during the trip I was able to lower it just a little bit more while running, and it is now at aout the 3/4 top level trim.

Searching for an answer and in most of the discussions there is one way tilting possible - but for me neither up or down works.
    So haven't found an answer - and want to avoid purchasing a new battery if I dont need one, and want to avoid taking her to the mechanic since it is quite expensive (closest one has some kind of monopoly of the area and takes advantage of it)

So there is no sound when i push the buttons, on either console or engine.
    Seems completely dead...

Could it be as easy as filling up the powertrim fluid? Or if that was the problem, would I have heard the engine "trying" to operate?

BR
    Magnus

Hi,
    I had same problem with my Df140A about 1 month ago...in my case was motor brush(carbon),about 10-15 dollars and i replaced myself.

I can suggest you this:
    -1 try to up or down engine from trim/tildswitch on the engine side...you should hear the relay making a sound.
    If you can hear "tic tic" from the relay is a good sign,and you can check step 2.
    -2 Try to gently knock trim/tilt motor cover with a screwdriver s back...you need to knock the lower part of motor plastic cover...
    now you should be able to trim/tilt up and down...if this work you need to replace motor brush(carbon) as soon as possible.
    You can go on knocking trim/tilt motor cover with a screwdriver s back every time motor doesnt work if you no have time to replace carbon,but you have to plan to replace into 1-2 weeks.
    Last edited by kagira; 06-22-2020, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Your trim motor draws far less amps than the starter motor so you have eliminated the battery as a problem. The advice in above post is good.

Comment

Ok, thanks!
        Will check it out - hope this "voodoo" method works.

How did you change the brusch/carbon?
        Did you need to dismantle the tilt engine or is it something else?

Comment

So now I am at the boat.
          When using the up/down buttons on the console, I can hear a distinkt click from the engine.
          However when using the buttons on the engine I hear no click.
          When pushing the down button, I heard something that I would explain as some kind of current running. But no clicks.

I can't access the trim engine to bump it with the screwdriver, as the motor is too far down...

I attached pictures, one where I found a loose wire that says "Amp 2" with a brown and white cable going to it. Could it have anything to do with it?

Also tried to replace the yellow relay that says "60" with the spare one, since it is the only one I can access without opening up different compartments.

Any ideas? Or should I go through the hassle of paying to have her lifted, and checked out.

Comment

08BF761F-E2CC-4A12-A243-BF58C298A1A1.jpeg9EFBCC38-F479-4056-81EF-5946EC63C3C8.jpeg

Comment

Is not Voodoo...is only the Third Law of Newton:"For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction"
              In this case when i knock the trim/tilt motor plastic case in the lower part the small springs that hold the carbon,and the carbon itself gonna muve and gain contact again with motor shaft and motor work again.
              I use this trick for about 3 weeks of about daily use,before to change carbons,springs,and a small piece of plastic hold the carbons and 2 orings.

When you press down button you no hear click:this is correct because engine is all down..so can not go more down,
              when you press up button you hear the click:correct...relay is ok...motor brush not ok.

Try to release the "Manual relase screw" so you can tilt motor full up manually...secure the engine with the engine lock and after you can knock
              in the motor....lower slowly engine full down and tight the "Manual relase screw"...(dont tight to much..just when stop turning you stop..)...
              ...now try up and down button..

Comment

Odlmag, do you store your boat in the water with the engine submerged that far? ***. It should never be stored in the water. It should be trimmed up out of the water. You have the potential for electrical current to eat up your engine if your anodes don't work properly. I would have suggested spraying the pistons with WD40 but they are submerged. I have never seen an engine so deep. Yikes.
                Just sayin...

Comment

Well that is the main reason I want to fix it.
                  Therefore this thread!

Can I use the manual release screw while it is submerged?
                  Or will it force unwanted water into the hydraulics?
                  If I just can get the motor up by myself I can pull up the boat aft first on our beach and try and fix it there.
                  Otherwise I have to go to the marina and use their boatlift since it won't go up on trailer with the engine in the most down position...

Kagira, when changing the carbon, could you do it without removing the tilt engine?

Comment

Yes,You can use the manual release screw while it is submerged....better 2 people..engine is heavy to lift up.
                    You need to know that you need to position the boat with an angle that allow the oil pump and oil reservoir to be straight.
                    otherwise you can not correctly refill oil inside the trim motor and oil reservoir.

With the motor up you can pull boat up on the beach....you need 3-4 hours to change motor carbons ...so consider the tide...

You can take out tilt/trim electric motor only...no need to take out all trim/tilt mechanism .

Please read the manual before and wach a video on youtube regarding how to change carbon in Yamaha engine(is about same as Suzuki Engine)
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woVT4czk6ao&t=1330s

-1 Take out 2 engine lateral cover and front cover... disconnect the motor cable from inside engine ...slide down the cable,so when you detach the motor
                    you can freely muve to a table where you can start to open the motor.

-2 tilt motor full up and lock it with safety lock.

-3 remuve the pin in the top of tilt rod(someone need to help you to muve engine up a little while you remuve the pin.)
                    as you remuve the upper pin tilt rod, it can muve all assembly into your direction,so you can access the screws on the back part of the start motor.
                    Clean very well all surfaces before detaching Start motor from Oil pump,so no debries will go inside the Oil Pump
                    Remuve the 4 screw completely...and detach motor from pump..grab the motor with 2 hands and muve it front and back and left and right it will pop out.

Last edited by kagira; 06-23-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Thank you for a detailed explanation, and the video was very informative!
                      This will be next weeks project, as vacation starts.

Comment

I just had the same issue. I could tap on the motor and get it to work. $104 from Browns Electric shipped the same day for a new motor. Now changing the motor is a pain.

Comment

Working...
                        X