DT65 weak spark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT65 weak spark

So the previous owner had connected some of the wiring to the cdi incorrectly, when I resolved this it was starting to get dark and I could see what I thought was a nice strong spark.
    Today when I checked again for spark and it is really weak but definitely spark on all cylinders. We tried one of the spark plugs on the mower and it was fine, I’m about to test the one of the secondary ignition cables but I don’t think that is the problem.

The other day I tested the condenser charge coil/primary ignition, battery charge coil, 3x pulser coils and the gear counting coil.
    CONDENSER COIL: 0.212k ohms (the workshop manual says it should be 190-270 ohms, I tried all the different ranges and this was the highest result I could get 0.212k)
    BATTERY COIL: continuity but no reading .000 (should be 0.2-0.6)
    GEAR COUNTER: 0.210k ohms (should be 170-250 ohms)
    PULSER COILS: all pulser coils were between 0.208-0.211 (should be 170-250)

All components passed the testing except the battery charging and I don’t know if that would affect the strength of the spark but I wouldn’t think so.

Any ideas on what would cause a weak spark.
    Thanks

No mention of new plugs installed.

Comment

Not yet, the plug had good spark when tested in the lawn mower but weak spark in the outboard. Also tested the ignition lead and coil. The only reading I got was continuity between the 2 wires. Is there another test I can perform to rule out ignition leads?
      Last edited by Frazys; 06-25-2020, 01:03 AM.

Comment

As far as I know that is the only test for ignition leads and coils, with the key on you should be getting battery voltage to the coils which brings me to my next question, Is your battery in good shape and fully charged? Are you getting 12V to the coils? Electrical testing is not my strong suit so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Comment

I think you are not totally familiar with your meter. For instance, .212k is within your desired range of 190-270 when you move the decimal point three places (k meaning 1000 in this context). I know this doesn't solve your no-spark problem but may help you look elsewhere for the problem.

Comment

Yea i did figure that when the other components tested in the same range and its good to have confirmation.
            Thanks amuller

Last night i perfirmed the unplug and test process and found the fault, its in a white plug that has a resistor, throttle sensor and the emergency stop switch. Had her running for a solid 5min with no worries, was a combination of a failed fuel pump and and i guess its the emergency stop switch has a short somewhere.

Comment

Working...
            X