Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DT25 2 Stroke (1983) not pumping water after an hours car journey.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT25 2 Stroke (1983) not pumping water after an hours car journey.

So as per the title, I sold the old DT8 and wish I hadn't now. I bought the engine after observing it started from cold and it was pumping water fine. The engine runs absolutely spot on. It's easy to start from cold but will not pump water now after being on its side in the car for an hour. I have replaced the Impeller and pump gasket but it refuses to pump water so I cant leave it running too long as I am paranoid it will crack the block. The wife is going mad because we have yet another engine i've bought which was supposed to be in excellent working order but is not after my drive home. I have tried running it with a muff and a bucket and without a muff. Could anyone try and help as its beating me now and I hate it. I dont want to go down the lake with the kids and the damn engine overheats.

Does anything come out of tell-tale hole when running in bucket - best method - water must be above level of impeller? Have you tried a small piece of heavy monofilament line up tell-tale when running, to see if clogged? Have you checked thermostat condition? Is any water coming out of mid-section when running in bucket?

Post back to help us help you.

Comment

Solarman so I have now tried it in a much deeper wheelie bin. It does pump water but then stops after a shirt period of time. I suspect either the thermostat OR the fact it needs flowing water going through. Going to take it to the river and give it a try.

Comment

The impeller "HAS TO BE" submerged "COMPLETELY" in water to pump water. If it does not have water on it constantly it will burn up, fail, and probably have to be replaced again.

Did the water level drop below the water pump after it started pumping? Water must be about 3" above the lower unit seam that you unbolt, when you replaced the impeller?

Good luck, post back on what you do find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
          The impeller "HAS TO BE" submerged "COMPLETELY" in water to pump water. If it does not have water on it constantly it will burn up, fail, and probably have to be replaced again.

Did the water level drop below the water pump after it started pumping? Water must be about 3" above the lower unit seam that you unbolt, when you replaced the impeller?

Good luck, post back on what you do find out.
          It is..the l water level is way past the pump/

Comment

Then if the impeller is submerged it will pump water. The water does not have to be flowing through, only submerged completely. If it stops pumping after a short time, what is different after a short time?

Post back on what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
              Then if the impeller is submerged it will pump water. The water does not have to be flowing through, only submerged completely. If it stops pumping after a short time, what is different after a short time?

Post back on what you find.
              Nothing is different, it starts to pump then stops. That's what it does.....there is no change.

Comment

So, when first started it pumps water fine (I'm guessing out of the tell-tale hole?) Then it runs for (? Long) and water stops pumping completely? (I'm guessing out of the tell-tale hole again?)

Does raising rpms up (a little, couple hundred rpms) when first started and pumping water? Does tell tale stream get stronger then it just stops when the time is up? Can you tell if the motor is getting hotter than it should be (too hot for your hand on thermostat cover)? How long does it take to get to this temperature? Do you have a friend with an infrared temp gun (point the gun at different areas of cylinder heads when first started, to see what areas get hottest first, and record those temps?)? Then also see if same areas get hotter when tell-tale stops?

Jiggster, it is not easy on this side of computer to help if we can not see or hear, or touch the motor ourselves. It is very helpful to get good explanations to help us help you.

I'm trying to see if your motor will run long enough to try a vinegar flush on motor to clean the water passages? But motor needs ro run for about 2 hours total time, in 15-20 minute stages, otherwise the same vinegar & water solution in bucket may get too hot, then need to cool down, then run for another 15-20 minutes, or until water is hot again.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

So it runs for about 20 seconds from fireplace straight away pumping water then stops, if I stop the motor and re-start it does the same pumps water then stops. It doesnt help adding RPM's. The cylinder head gets way to hot to touch hence I keep shutting it down as I dont want to cook it. I dont know anyone with a infrared temp gun I'm afraid. I have a feeling it is the thermostat but am going to try it in the river first and see how we do.

Comment

Working...
                  X