Early 80s (81 I think) DT85 ignition wiring - help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Early 80s (81 I think) DT85 ignition wiring - help

I had to replace ignition after breaking key off in tumbler. Took photos of it when cutting out. Wiring up exactly as it was when I disconnected it and nothing happens at key turn. My wire colors are red/white/yellow/brown/green/blue

this is a pic of the old switch config: E5A7FA42-A103-487F-9365-4A2C0D8C480B.jpeg

it’s tough to see and I have a lot of photos of diff angles but the way it’s wired here is

raised M: Green
    S: brown
    c: red
    a: yellow
    M: black
    b: white
    the blue wire went nowhere (think it’s supposed to be my tach, but none of my dash gauges are operational)

when I run a jumper from b to the positive battery terminal it turns right over, but it also revs out of control unless it’s manually choked in that instance. I’m at my wits end. Please help me.

Ok I figured out why the jumper to the battery got it started. The in line fuse on the white wire had blown. I replaced. Now the motor cranks and cranks but won’t actually start. Does anyone have any idea what I should check next? I just replaced all 3 plugs. I have no idea what to check next.

Comment

Flanders, it is not easy to compare pics, if we only have the one pic to see? Likewise, if you remove one switch to replace with an identical switch, and it is wired back just as it should be, and now not working? Is it possible there might be a bad connector (or more than one connector bad) somewhere in the wires you messed when changing the switch?

Make sure the old, and new switch posts are identified the same, sometimes newer switches have a few posts lettered differently, meaning they are not identical switches, but they will work, if the wires are put in the right place.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Another thing, your kill-switch wires are also connected to your switch, just another thought?

Comment

There doesn’t appear to be a kill switch on this motor..

here’s a video of it trying to start...https://youtu.be/DnawddziNGo it does sound like it would sound if it was trying to start with the kill circuit closed.

it used to have a kill switch I see the hole on the control where it’d go, but the previous owner bypassed it maybe?

Comment

Working...
          X