No water new 9.9

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No water new 9.9

Bought a new Suzuki 9.9. I put the muffs on and no water stream. Turned it off and put it in a drum of water. Submerged it plenty deep but no water stream. Took it apart and impeller looks good, fins facing the right way. I took an air compressor and cleaned out the water hose. All clear. Tried again but no water stream. Any ideas before I take it to the shop tomorrow. They said it will be a couple weeks. Suzuki wasn’t much help. They wouldn’t even say if it’s covered under warranty.

Interested in seeing the replies. I am seeing the same issue with my new 9.9 at startup. After about 30 seconds it seems to pump water out of the week hole. Not sure this is normal?

Comment

If not I’ll let you know what the mechanic says.

Comment

30 seconds seems like an awful long time to run without water flowing through it. That can't be good for the impeller.

Comment

A guy from Suzuki Called me and said to run it in a drum for 4 hours. Even if no water is coming out. That seems ridiculous. He says it’s part of the break in. I took it to a shop so I can spend hundreds on a brand new motor. Terrible experience so far.

Comment

First time I’ve heard of an air cooled Suzuki outboard.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
              First time I’ve heard of an air cooled Suzuki outboard.
              I’ve never heard anyone say to run a motor with no water coming out. It’s crazy.

Comment

Certainly it comes with a manual, right? What does the manual say about break in. On the bigger engines they give a very good descriptor of how to. It would seem like the Rep would agree with the manual.

Comment

Originally posted by briscoe View Post
                  Certainly it comes with a manual, right? What does the manual say about break in. On the bigger engines they give a very good descriptor of how to. It would seem like the Rep would agree with the manual.
                  He said he would mail me matches to burn the manual. He said throw it away. He actually said it a few times. Manual says the water should come out immediately. If not shut it down.
                  Last edited by Bradmh; 07-03-2020, 05:16 PM.

Comment

I had a tech from the oldest Suzuki dealer in Ohio remind me that just because you do not see water coming out of the weep hole it does not mean the block is not getting water, because water also exits out the exhaust around the prop???

Comment

Bradmh, the water supply to the pee steam may be plugged. I suggest looking at the Suzuki parts catalog listed on this site. Click the "Suzuki Marine genuine parts" link at the top of this page. Look up the diagram for thermostat on your motor. The tubing that comes down to clamp #6, disconnect it and verify that it's clear. I would blow air into the tube and into the motor housing (whatever water jacket that is). There may be something obstructing it. I would even consider running the water (with the engine running, for a minute) while pulling that tubing, to verify water flow.
                      A pretty simple look, it might be the issue.

Briscoe

Comment

If you are expecting water to come out of the telltale immediately after starting the engine, you are doomed to disappointment.

The easiest test to see if there is an obstruction in the telltale line is to hook a hose up to the fresh water flushing port, turn THE HOSE on strongly, and DO NOT START THE ENGINE. Water should flow out the telltale in a strong stream.

If water doesnt come out the telltale when doing the flushing port test, keep the hose running and get some heavy grass trimmer line and poke it up the telltale. Push the line 5 or 6” up the telltale and push it in and out a few times. If there is an obstruction this often loosens it and the water pressure pushes it out.

If it does, then put the leg in a drum of water, and have it deep enough that the antivent plate (the large plate above the prop) is a few inches underwater. At least 3”. Wait a full minute.

Start the engine. Count to 20 in seconds eg say “one-one thousand, two one thousand all the way to 20. Chances are it will be pumping before you get to 20. The engine has overheat protection built in. If its not getting enough water circulating it will set of an alarm before damage is done - turn it off immediately and allow to cool for 15 minutes. The worst case scanario is the impeller might get burnt a bit.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 07-03-2020, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X