Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help, DT25 struggles at WOT

Hi All,

I have a mid 90's (I believe it is a 1994) DT25. This has been a fantastic outboard for me for the past several years. Recently I took the boat out, once I opened it up, just after I got up on plane the motor started to sputter. almost as if it was not getting enough gas? Idiling, and slow trolling, there were no issues, even at mid throttle I did not experience issues. It was only at WOT or close to WOT, that the sputtering would occur. I was only able to maintain ~18MPH, when I am typically closer to ~ 23MPH just under wide open.

I checked the spark plugs, and they all look fine (they were replaced ~3yrs ago). My next guess is maybe a carb clean? Does anyone have an idea of what may be causing this, and where I should focus my efforts? I thought it was strange that it only occurred at full speed. If it is a carb clean issue, would a can of seafoam work, or does it need to be a full clean? Also wondering if maybe it is a fuel filter issue? I am not the most mechanically inclined, but like to learn/do what I can.

Thanks in advanced, I appreciate the help.

Could be a float slightly out of adjustment, can’t supply enough fuel at WOT. Could be a dirty carburetor, could be fuel filter issue or a combination of issues. Sounds like a fuel issue to me. Seafoam is worth a try, can’t hurt. Start at the gas tank and work your way to the engine checking the fuel line for any anomalies, cracks, tight clamps, new fuel filter, basically check and replace the easy and cheap thinks first

Comment

Working...
    X