Sheared head bolt x2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheared head bolt x2

I have a case of light scoring on the cylinders of a DT65. My initial thought was to remove only the aft side of the cylinder casing but found some of the bolts difficult to remove insitu and instead I am trying to remove the complete powerhead to gain easy access to the bolts on the forward carbie side. I removed the gear box then cowling and used some crc prior to attempting to remove the head bolts. Unfortunately 2 of the bolts heads sheared while removing, I didn’t think at the time that this would be to much of a concern because the bolts have a shank that runs through the driveshaft housing and engine mount/holder. Both bolts are on the port side and one is under the extrusion section of the cylinder casing which I think is part of the water jacket and I can’t see the thread of this bolt.

I thought with all the bolts (and single aft nut) removed I would still be able to pull the powerhead and the shank would slide up through the driveshaft housing and engine mount with some light persuasion. Alas this does not seem to be the case.
    Before attempting to use a screw extractor/easy out I was hoping someone might have a better idea, such as removing the driveshaft housing and engine mount? IDK it’s starting to drive me nuts.
    Thanks

If you cant separate it with the head broken off, an easy-out isn't going to help. keep soaking the area with penetrating oil of your choice (couple days - weeks)

Comment

Got there in the end but what a mission, ended up having to drop the drive shaft housing to get a 10mm gap. Then with a lot of harmonic persuasion managed to smack the engine mount down enough to get a hacksaw blade through and slowly cut through the head bolt and remove the powerhead.
      Next step is to remove the cylinder casing braze the 2 small cracks (and add a bit of body where it’s corroded), hone the cylinders, new rings, replace all the gaskets, put it back together and hope it’s strong compression all round. Fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
      X