Valve noise -df90

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve noise -df90

2006 df90- Yesterday noticed what I believe to be Excessive valve noise at idle and low speed. Goes away with a little throttle , but is noticeably noisier at idle. Sounds like a sewing machine with a slight Occasional rattle

woth the coming off and at idle it definitely sounds like it’s coming from valves

motr has a little over 400 hours. I have been reading about the valve Checks and adjustments, which I am hoping is what I am hearing.

not sure how soon I can get service at Suzuki Dealer As they are normally 30 days out this time of year . I see I need a special tool , hoping I can find someone that has this local besides dealer

I am guessing it’s not a good idea to use the boat until adjustments checks can be made?

The clearance between the bucket and cam lobe will diminish, not increase, unless there is a problem under the cam cover.
    You only need a tool if you need to change shims, so you can pull the cover off and check The clearances if you know how to.
    If you can replicate the noise on the muffs grab hold of the cowl and see if it changes.

The clearance between the bucket and the cam lobe will be greater when the engine is cold than hot so the noise should be more noticeable cold if you had problem.

Comment

Ok, THanks for the info. Hoping thats a good thing about the valve adjustment

I Started looking a little closer under the cowling last night and noticed my oil level is too high. I just changed oil maybe 20-30 hours ago, and know for certain I had correct oil level I am thinking fuel is getting into my oil, and the noise if from fuel diluted/thin oil? HArd to say for sure but when I pulled the dipstick it smelled a little like fuel and looked thinner than it should be.

I am definitely getting a noisy valvetrain at idle up to maybe 1500 RPMS and then it either clears up or maybe just cant be heard.

I went ahead and ordered the LP fuel pump o-ring as I am suspecting that is causing the fuel leak into the oil? I see where that seems to be a somewhat common issue on these motors I just recently had fuel getting into oil from the VST vent and did a VST rebuild which solved that part of it.

any thoughts if this sounds like I am on the right track

Hoping I haven't hurt the motor at all, and that it will quiet down with fresh oil ? Although the oil level is maybe only 1 inch above the full dot on the dipstick so not sure if that would be enough to cause the noise?

been reading a little more on the LP pump. I see now the o-ring I ordered isn't the part I need. Is there a part# for the diaphragm or do I have to replace entire LP pump?

I did pull the pump loose and cleaned off with a papertowel. Then I pumped the bulb and moved the back of the pump in and out and did get a small drop of fuel
      Last edited by jeffro22; 07-20-2020, 10:49 AM.

Comment

I don't know if they sell kits for the pump, they are not that dear. I was just looking at my post and I should have said at the bottom, the clearance between the cam lobe and the bucket is at its' closest when cold and will increase when hot. I should have proof read that before I typed it.

Comment

I drained oil and added fresh 10w-40 and valve noise is 95% gone

have a New fuel pump supposed to show up this week and will most likely do another drain and fill on the oil after a few hours of use.

Think I did any damage to the motor ?

Comment

You want to hope the noise wasn’t the bottom end rattling with the diluted oil

Comment

Swapped out the fuel pump and did another oil flush/change using 5w-40. Motor sounds pretty good. Here is a picture of the inside of the old fuel pump. Diaphragm is clearly deteriorated
              Attached Files

Comment

It would be interesting to know what your oil pressure is when the engine is hot, you seem to be Quite capable of doing that.
                What is the temp where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                  It would be interesting to know what your oil pressure is when the engine is hot, you seem to be Quite capable of doing that.
                  What is the temp where you are.
                  Sorry for late response , Got a little tied up with some unexpected issues.

I have been using motor and seems pretty quiet, slight tick/rattle at idle but i am really listening for it now. Guess your wanting to see if I caused any bearing damage?
                  As soon as I get a few free minutes ill look into what's needed for try to test oil pressure and report back

I am in South Carolina- Hot weather right now- 90-100*

Comment

Working...
                  X