Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 DF70 starts fine but won't rev up

Hi all,
    Wondering if anyone has experienced something similar to this problem. Motor worked great all weekend around the 4th of July. started great and ran like a dream. I went to take the boat out a few days later, and while the motor started up great like normal, I couldn't accelerate. When I pushed the throttle forward, the motor would kick into gear and the prop would start spinning but it wouldn't go any faster or rev any higher than essentially idle. I tried revving it in neutral as well and it won't go above idle. I checked the throttle and shift cables and they seem to be attached correctly and functioning as normal.
    Does this sound like a computer issue? Where its preventing RPMs from climbing at all? No beeping or warning lights on the tach.

Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Pull the air box off and look inside the throttle Housing and see if the butterfly is opening and closing when you move the shifter.

If the computer only supplied enough fuel for idle it would stall as soon as you opened the throttle. The little control rod has probably fallen off.

Comment

That would make sense, however it doesn't stall no matter where the throttle position is. The throttle seems to have no effect other than kicking it into gear initially so that the boat moves forward at ~1 mph but no more.

Comment

It would be impossible for the engine to just idle if the butterfly was open, it would stall so that tells me you never took the air box off and had a look.

Comment

Well it was an embarrassing resolution for me, but we got it figured out. The throttle cable had come loose from its locking position where it enters the motor, shifted back about an inch, and then become re-"lodged" so the linkages all moved when I would cycle the throttle but they wouldn't hit the point where it would engage. It seems like kind of a dumb design that they only snap fit into those grooves and have a rubber grommet holding them in place, but perhaps its user error.
          Thanks for the suggestions!

Comment

Working...
          X