Oil in water....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil in water....

Just to go off another thread, seem to be having the opposite problem as others on here. Started to notice a shean in my cooling water, went right for the engine oil cooler and replaced it. Drained all fluids and no water in oil and no significant gear or engine oil loss. Anyway, still having some oil in my cooling water. Pulled the LU off this weekend and going to try to change the oil seal under the water pump, only other place I can think I could get an oil into the cooling water and not vice versa...any other ideas? Thanks in advance.

What motor

What.motor is it. Also, does it require adding oil after severa trips. I had something on my 07 DF140 that was an unusual leak.
    Regards

Comment

04 DF140, never needed oil, currently no visible signs of oil difference, it's coming from somewhere. LU is off, changing the oil seal and see what happens.

Comment

Saw my leak...

When I tilted my motor it dripped a few spots on the concrete floor. Dripping down the swivel shaft.
        Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by FLDXT08 View Post
          04 DF140, never needed oil, currently no visible signs of oil difference, it's coming from somewhere. LU is off, changing the oil seal and see what happens.
          '''' When you pull the leg off see if there is oil running down the drive shaft coming from the engine.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
            '''' When you pull the leg off see if there is oil running down the drive shaft coming from the engine.
            I pulled the LU off and replaced the oil seal under the water pump, I didn't see any oil dripping down the drive shaft but I always but a light coat of greaSE on it.
            I ran on muffs and collected some cooling water, still seeing something in it, going to run this weekend and see if some rpms will help.
            To be honest, beyond the oil seal in the LU and the oil cooler, what you described above could really be the only option, but what probelm would that indicate?
            Thx guys, been a while, work and family got crazy.

Comment

Just wanted to bump this again, seem to still be experiencing the issue. Watching engine oil level now to see if that is where it is coming from.

Comment

Had this issue

There is a plate underneath the power head, that covers some linkage. The plate is made of aluminium and develops corrosion, which allows oil to leak. I think I have a schematic of the part and a pic of the corrosion.
                Briscoe
                Attached Files

Comment

oil in water

Briscoe could be looking in the right place, The 04 comes with two engine holders 1: 51110-9021 and 51110-90840 which comes with cover plate 51122-90j00 Just not sure how to tell the difference . You may also be suffering the dreaded corosine problem, your engine holder gasket around the exhaust port may be failing. check to see if your engine oil is darker than usual, this will indicate exhaust being sent into the sump, and while at rest oil leaking down the exhaust and out the prop

Comment

Should have said...

Mine is a 07 DF140. Not too big a job for a good shade tree mechanic. I had an engine lift to hold power head. I didn't disconnect all the cables and wiring harness from motor.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Why do you know that it's in the cooling water?

I had for some time a sheen of oil in the water around the engines and it turned out that it was a leaking trim piston.

Chris

Comment

Think the descriptor was different

I thought he indicated oil dripping from the swivel shaft. I didn't connect the dots until after several trips the dip stick was down 1/4 qt.

Comment

What is a swivel shaft?

If the oil pump seal under the power head would leak the oil would drain thru one of the holes in the lower unit as yours, particularly when you trim up the engine.

Pulled the LU off this weekend and going to try to change the oil seal under the water pump
                          To be honest, i see no connection between the water pump seal and engine oil in the water cooling circuit.

If the oil comes out of the pee hole then there is oil in the water cooling circuit,
                          if it's not the oil cooler then ... Difficult question...
                          A pin hole in a gasket or water passage would lead to water in the oil and not oil in the water as the water has probably more pressure/flow than the oil pump. At least with the engine off, water would drain back and go in the oil circuit.

I would first check if there is oil in the water coming from the pee hole as this would exclude that oil leak in the water cooling circuit.

Chris

Comment

His issues are underneath the power head

The part schematic I attached earlier has part number 18. Mine developed a corrosion spot and it allowed oil to run down the swivel shaft, which is the shaft the motor rotates on side to side.

Comment

Hey guys, new to the page and boy am I glad I become a member and started searching through these forums. Briscoe, I had the exact same oil leak issue from corrosion on he mount plate cover.. my mechanic was scratching his head with no idea... seen this post and asked him if it could be the same issue.. and without a doubt it was, although mine had developed beside one of the bolts which made it hard to see... awesome forum and saved a lot of headache. Happy boating 👍

Comment

Working...
                              X