Brand New DF300 Loses Power at ~5000 RPM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New DF300 Loses Power at ~5000 RPM

Excuse the long post but I am trying to provide as much detail as possible. I have a brand new DF300 repowering my 1998 Pro Line 251 Walkaround. I've lost some faith in the shop that installed the engine after a couple conversations on the issue I'm asking about here as well as a few other bugs from this repower job that were due to a lack of attention to detail so I thought I'd see if anyone here had any other ideas.

I put it in the water last weekend to begin the break in intervals (15 min @ idle speed, 1:45 at 3000 RPM, 1:00 at 4000 RPM). Since I was told I could open the throttle just long enough to plane off then come back down to the target RPM range I figured out right away that the engine struggled when it got up around 5000 RPM. Anywhere between 4800 RPM and 6000 RPM the engine begins to surge, dropping down to 1-2k RPM and then back up and this repeats until you come off the throttle to a level it can maintain. My initial feeling was that it was starving for fuel. I called the shop that did the install while out on the water and all he could tell me to check was the fuel lines which were all fine. He then asked me to send a pic of the fuel line he installed from the new primer bulb to the engine. He could neither tell me what size line he used nor what size line it should be - only that the tech he had do it should have used the same stuff they use on Yamahas. Turns out it was 5/16" line. That was smaller than the line I had there on the previous motor and smaller than the fittings on the bulb he installed so he suspected that might be the problem. He asked me to complete the break in intervals which I did and at 4000 RPM the boat ran flawlessly for 2 hours over the course of the rest of the day but would still struggle at higher RPMs.

When I got home rather than tow the boat 45 min away to his shop where he wouldn't be able to duplicate the issue in his parking lot (which would also leave me without it for another week or longer) I replaced the bulb to engine fuel line myself with 3/8" and while I was at it I ran all new line from the tank pickup to the new bulb. The shop didn't have any other ideas to offer and asked me to let them know if that took care of it. I got it back in the water today hoping I'd fixed it but I had the same issue - get up around 5000 RPM and the motor acts like its struggling because RPM increase from there seems slow and strained and then at some point the RPMs will fall off dramatically as the engine begins to surge. It does this whether or not I go WoT out of the hole or from a cruising speed @ 4000 RPM. Again today the engine ran silky smooth in that 4000 RPM range for several hours - not a single hiccup or hesitation.

As mentioned I replaced the entire run of fuel line with new and after splitting the old lines apart they were fine and the inner liners had not collapsed. I also checked the tank vent and it isn't obstructed.
    What's left? Is it possible that its propped wrong? That is, do these engines have a safety feature that knocks down the RPMs if they are at a certain throttle position but don't achieve an expected RPM in a certain amount of time? Even though its acting like outboards I've had in the past do when they aren't getting enough fuel its hard to fixate on that when all filters, lines, etc... are brand new.

Thanks in advance.

They do have rev limiters at 6200 (on my DF175) or so. Take it back to the dealer sounds like a warranty issue. No good to you the way it is.

Comment

Originally posted by tsturm View Post
      They do have rev limiters at 6200 (on my DF175) or so. Take it back to the dealer sounds like a warranty issue. No good to you the way it is.
      No doubt. I ended up taking it back out today to run it on a remote tank and had the same problem. I needed that peace of mind of eliminating 100% of "my side" of the fuel system before I talk to this shop tomorrow and tell them it's their problem to figure out. I'm not getting anywhere near the rev limiter so something is certainly causing this thing to kick out.

I took several videos today that I uploaded to YouTube and send to the shop so the owner can take a look before we talk. His shop is about a 45 min drive north of where I am and he is about that same distance away from the nearest ramp that I can launch my boat from so short of dragging his butt down here and making him climb aboard he's not going to be able to replicate the issue. I've pasted them along with a quick explanation of each below in case anyone is bored and/or curious enough to take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1Sa_zhrU0c
      This is the run with the remote tank starting from a dead stop and moving to wide open throttle. The engine doesn't want to get up over 5200 so I trim up a bit and once it reaches about 5600 RPMs it drops off and begins to surge. The throttle is still all the way open here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJHrzc5B4dg

In this video I am cruising at a speed and RPM I was able to sustain and then applied full throttle. I do manage to get to 6000 RPMs this time with the motor trimmed up a good but at the 0:50 mark the power drops off again and its not able to get up much over 5000 RPM again. The throttle was wide open from the 0:25 mark onward. You can see me play around with the trim near the end with no effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgXq09mYYL0
      After tinkering around with throttle position and trim position this was the best cruise speed and RPM I was able to sustain today (38 MPH @ 5100 RPM). I started the video from this point then applied full throttle and the RPMs spike to 5500 then immediately drop off to around 4500.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGVLvFDqXCs
      This one is shaky but this is a shot of the foot while cruising at ~4300 RPM and 30 MPH and trimmed up a bit. To me it looks like the anti vent plate is under water but it's a little hard to see through the spray.

Comment

Update - the dealer that installed it spent some time talking to Suzuki and after they viewed the videos I uploaded one technician thinks is a prop issue and another thinks the engine is losing fuel flow somewhere. They're making him get on the boat with me and hook up his computer while I run it so he can send them the data it pulls from the engine. This will happen Sunday (weather permitting) and I'll make sure I circle back when I get this figured out to help anyone else in the future. The only concern I have is that he wants to connect directly to the engine with the cowling off and I've noticed that when I come back down to idle from a cruising speed a surge of water tends to wash up along the sides of the cowling and a few times I've even had a little "rooster tail" come shooting around over the top.

Comment

Working...
        X