Pinion bearing removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pinion bearing removal

Needle roller thrust bearing failed and metal got all through my lower unit. Replacing all bearings and seals. Tried using a big bolt through a metal plate through from the top with a socket on the bottom under the bearing. Nothing was budging and its making me nervous i am doing something wrong. How should i be doing this. 1990 dt75

They recommend using a slide hammer, bolted to the prop shaft, several good hammers outward will pop out the prop shaft bearing housing.

Comment

I got that out with a pulley puller... i am talking about the bearings on the crankshaft down in the leg.20200812_153351.jpg

Comment

I guess its called the drive shaft.

Comment

Your socket wasn't just a bit bigger than the bush did you double check that, and I think there is two needle roller bushes in there.

Comment

There is 2.. for me the bottom one has no rollers. The socket looks like it fit past the first one. I wasnt sure in i should be pulling them up or pushing them down. Seems like they should pull up. Is that correct?

Comment

The df engine only has one bearing and is knocked out the bottom, fit up a drift that is neat and try it, I could not imagine a shoulder between bearings.

Comment

Sorry, its a dt, not a df. There seems like there is a lip on the bottom. It might be that the backside of the pinion gear wore it in though. The part diagram shows 2, but in my case only the outside race of the lower bearing remains.

Comment

Working...
                X