Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Suzuki

Hello everybody,

I've owned a Evinrude 90 HP E-TEC for many seasons and found it to be a great engine. But alas after 16 years it's developed a scary internal knock that necessitated a re-power. Since BRP is stopping 'Rude production and I don't want to end up with an orphan engine that I can't get parts for, I just got a brand new 2020 Suzuki DF90 installed on the boat. This is my second 4 stroke (the last was a Honda 50 on a different boat). I'll miss the ease of maintenance and the auto-winterizing of the E-TEC, but aside from that I'm hoping to be pleased with the motor over-all. My Honda 50 was weak compared to a 50 HP 2 stroke. I'm curious about whether I'll notice that in this new 'Zuke?

Anyone have some insight on this? The boat is a 20' Princecraft Sportfisher twin 'toon btw.

Also, does anyone know if the engine oil drain plug crush washer needs changing every oil change? If so are they a generic washer or do I need to get one right from Suzuki?
    Last edited by roamer7; 08-13-2020, 11:51 AM.

Yes, new engine oil drain plug washer, likewise with the lower unit drain and refill plug. I would strongly suggest OEM washers, they aren’t too expensive for piece of mind. As far as winterization it’s the same as a two stroke other than an oil change.

Comment

You could also buy a siphon pump to pump the oil out and never mess with the drain plug if you wanted. If you choise to change oil via drain plug I'd also suggest using oem parts.

Comment

I am considering purchasing a 2002 115 HP Suzuki. It appears to be in excellent condition. It has about 425 hours on it. Any have experience with these motors.

Comment

Originally posted by fletcher53 View Post
          I am considering purchasing a 2002 115 HP Suzuki. It appears to be in excellent condition. It has about 425 hours on it. Any have experience with these motors.
          You should probably make a new thread. But, I have a 2003 DF90 which is the same engine with a few small differences. These years had a rather fatal flaw in the engine holder, the part that sits between the engine block and the gearbox. They put in a stainless steel plug on an aluminum housing. This caused corrosion when mixed with the exhaust gasses. Almost all of these will rot the aluminum from the inside on the exhaust port of both the block and the engine holder. If you stop it in time then an aluminum plug can replace it, if not you can get exhaust leaks into the cowling which causes the engine to run poorly, you can get oil leaks and you can get water leaking into the #4 piston or oil tank. You cannot see it from the outside unless it has rotted through, and often removing the screwed in plug will result in breaking off the entire socket.

If you are buying one in that range and it is the DF (4 stroke) do not take it without having that inspected. Tons of info all over the internet and videos showing the issue. I just finished rebuilding my DF90, and we went through 4 blocks (used) before we got a good one that wasn't rotted out already, and even it had some damage. There is not a recall on it, so a repair can be anything from a new engine holder (~$1,500) up to a full rebuild which could be $3,000 plus.

Comment

good luck. I have a 2019 suzuki df20a that has had multiple problems in it's 1st year. It is now fixed again and running great, but I am getting rid of this pos and going back to Yamaha, before it breaks again.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewVal View Post
              good luck. I have a 2019 suzuki df20a that has had multiple problems in it's 1st year. It is now fixed again and running great, but I am getting rid of this pos and going back to Yamaha, before it breaks again.
              I had folks tell me E-TECs were junk too. In all the years I had mine (it was an 04) I had 1 fuel injector fail. You can get a problem child with any brand. I've heard more good about the Zukes than bad by far. Knock on wood I'm sure she'll treat me well

Comment

Originally posted by roamer7 View Post

I had folks tell me E-TECs were junk too. In all the years I had mine (it was an 04) I had 1 fuel injector fail. You can get a problem child with any brand. I've heard more good about the Zukes than bad by far. Knock on wood I'm sure she'll treat me well
                Yeah, that is how I bought this boat anchor by listening to everyone saying how great they are. Chances are that I just got a lemon, who knows. I will say when it is running good, it is awesome.

Comment

Working...
                X