Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CMP sensor ???

2017 suzuki DF9.9B TL2 00995f-711164
    Cranks but Motor won't start, warning light flashes 2 then 4 codes say CMP sensor ?? How can I test if It may be the problem ? can I do it "with a little help from my friends" and a multimeter .. please help

No body. any Ideas

Comment

Pull the sensor out and make sure there is nothing on the end of it, connect up a test ight or multi meter, connect the neg lead to ground and probe the wires to find out which is ground, supply, and signal with the key on. If it is a hall sensor it will have three wires, if it is inductive it will have two. If it has three wires, one will have voltage on it with the key on, one will be ground probably a black wire, and the other signal, if you touch the end of the sensor with a screw driver on and off, you should see the voltage change on the meter. Come back on the forum and tell me how many wires, and the color, and what you found.

Comment

3 wires gray, yellow/green, black.. I grounded directly to the battery with test light and probed gray wire first (key on) it was hot, so I didn't probe any other wire. then I grounded my multimeter probed the gray wire got,,,, 11.91 volts, then tapped on end of sensor with screwdriver no change in voltage..

Comment

Mate the gray wire will be supply, black will be ground, yellow and green signal, that will be the one to touch on and off with your screw driver or metal object. So connect your meter neg to ground probe the yellow and green with pos from meter, turn key on and touch the end of the sensor with a metal object. If the sensor is working you should see either, zero 5, or zero, ten volts changing as you touch on and off.

Comment

with key on gray wire still shows about 12V,,, when I probe the Y/G wire all's I can get is 5.00V when I tap with screwdriver meter goes to 0.30V 20200820_120324.jpg
            Last edited by bar jumper; 08-21-2020, 02:10 PM.

Comment

On the end of your camshaft there is a blade fitted to it, and as the camshaft rotates this blade moves past the sensor and will pull that voltage low just like your doing with the screwdriver. Fit the sensor back in place and turn the engine over and see if that voltage goes from 5 volts down to .3 volts on the signal wire, take the spark plug out so you can do it by hand because if you crank it, the speed might only give an average reading with the digital multimeter.

Your sensor is doing what it should be doing on that test, but you had your meter connected to the battery neg, just to make sure your ground is good, connect your test light to battery pos and probe the black wire at the sensor and it should light if the ground is good.

It probably wouldn't hurt to look inside the hole and see if you can see the blade on the cam come past as you turn it over by hand.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                On the end of your camshaft there is a blade fitted to it, and as the camshaft rotates this blade moves past the sensor and will pull that voltage low just like your doing with the screwdriver. Fit the sensor back in place and turn the engine over and see if that voltage goes from 5 volts down to .3 volts on the signal wire, take the spark plug out so you can do it by hand because if you crank it, the speed might only give an average reading with the digital multimeter.

Your sensor is doing what it should be doing on that test, but you had your meter connected to the battery neg, just to make sure your ground is good, connect your test light to battery pos and probe the black wire at the sensor and it should light if the ground is good.

It probably wouldn't hurt to look inside the hole and see if you can see the blade on the cam come past as you turn it over by hand.
                ''''''' To save waiting for a response if every thing checks out you need to go to the computer and make sure that the cam signal is getting there eg, 5 volts .3 volts when turning over.

Comment

everything checked out, 5V .3V when you say computer if you mean one that connects to the mtr. don't have that. just a guy with a boat, that can do good maintenance. it just won't fire one bit. EFI so it doesn't have spark plugs per say. the motors 2yrs old and it's 2hrs to the nearest shop.. just seems it has to be something simple.

Comment

No the engine computer, it needs to see those same high and low voltages, look for the same colored wires on it. The engine has one coil and two spark plugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X