low oil preasure alarm df300 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• low oil preasure alarm df300 2015

Happened twice yesterday offshore both times at idle. As soon as I increased the rpms it was fine. Engine runs perfect. When I got back to dock I checked oil level ( 45 hours on current oil) It was fine.Operating temp was fine at 129 degrees. I cant seem to find actual oil pressure on the square gauge. Has nyone ever needed to replace oil pressure sensor?

Hmmm,
    that remembers me to my problem with 2016 DF300AP and the old SMIS gauges.

Please check your software version of
    a) engine interface
    b) your gauge
    They may be a software problem leading to ghost errors.

Remember also one thing: to check the oil level you need to bring the engine in vertical position and unscrew the oil filler plug.
    I had it several times that my captains overfilled the engine oil as the dipstick showed low oil, but unscrewing the oil filler cap raised the oil level.

In some of my cars the use of synthetic oil leads to similar effect as the very thin oil don't build up enough pressure to trigger the pressure switch

Chris
    Last edited by ChrigelKarrer; 02-09-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Oil was a bit high not low. At the 100 and 200 hour change it was a perfect 8 quarts removed. A little high makes me wonder whether fuel is leaking past rings and getting into oil. But would that itself set off low pressure alarm? I am not getting any code just a script alarm. Only 45 hours on the oil since last change at 300 hours. I did not change filter last time as shop manual says filter change every 200 hours ,oil every 100 hours. Im going to change oil now and filter and let it idle for 1/2 hour and see what happens.

Comment

If your oil level is higher than when you filled it up after the oil change,
        then you either:
        a) overfilled it while topping off the oil
        b) your engine is "making oil" what means that fuel is leaking in the oil

If you are sure that you (and nobody else) did not topped the oil level between the last oil change and now, then your engine probably is "making oil".
        You can check that if the engine oil has a strong fuel smell and lost it's oily consistence.
        Diluted fuel can lead to low oil pressure readings at idle!

You may get a Blackstone Lab's oil sample canister and have your oil analyzed.

Engines making oil is common for engines trolling for long times and cruising back.
        The last miles at WOT is good for your engine and can avoid this problem!
        Chris

Comment

The first two oil changes I measured the oil I removed and it was exactly 8 quarts at 100 and 200 hours. I wanted to make sure I broke the engine in correctly. Its not till the third oil change at 300 hours that Im making oil. Im not getting any smoke either. I would think if fuel is leaking past the rings then oil should be leaking past in the other direction and I should see some smoke? I do idle a lot when drifting but when in gear its usually peddle to the floor at 5800 rpms which should heat engine up enough to burn off the fuel in the cranckcase?
          Bottom line is this problem is just occurring at 345 hours not previously. Im leaning towards having a leak down test done.

Comment

Well, if you run usually your engine hard then the problem of "making oil" should not occur.
            In your case i would relax, change the oil, measure how much comes out and in case it's more than 8 quart have it checked for gas contamination.
            In any case you should smell the gas in the oil smelling on the dipstick!

If you drain still 8 quarts then the problem is either a software problem creating ghost errors or a faulty oil pressure sensor.

As far i know the square Suzuki C10 gauge (and no other gauge) is not displaying the oil pressure value.

Chris

Comment

If

Couple of comments that I have seen relating to 'making oil' can be a problem is gasket/diaphragm in the low pressure pump and a problem in the high pressure pump that relates to the fuel float - not being adjusted may cause fuel to run through it.
              Art

Comment

For trolling, my dealer told me to go to the hotter thermostat.

Comment

So A bit of an update. I changed the oil and filter Saturday and fished Sunday morning with my wife. At the bait buoy 6 miles offshore the alarm went off at idle. This occurred with the brand new oil in its first hour. So there was no fuel in the oil at that point. I called a local dealers head Suzuki guy who said he would come to my house and check the actual oil pressure if I could get the alarm to go off.
                  I just let it idle at the dock for an hour, and no alarm. Engine temp topped out at 127 degrees and stayed there the whole hour so I may need to get the engine hotter to reproduce the alarm. No codes are shown when alarm does go off. And I can shut engine off and restart it immediately with no alarm until a few minutes go by.

Comment

If youve got a top Suzuki mechanic about to look at it, they can surely do a oil pressure test to determine one way or another whether there is an actual oil pressure issue, or simply a sender unit intermittent fault.

My money is on the sender unit, or associated wiring that is bad somewhere, as i very much doubt whether actual oil pressure could be intermittently good, then bad, then good again.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-13-2017, 08:40 PM.

Comment

So I got back my oil analysis from Blackstone Labs and the conclusion is Im getting fuel in the oil. However after the first low oil pressure alarm I changed the oil and filter and still got the alarm 20 minutes later. There was no rise on the dipstick in 20 minutes. So maybe I have two problems? Mechanic is picking boat up monday. He thinks a fuel injector is leaking.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by barrell; 02-22-2017, 04:51 PM.

Comment

So my df300 has been at the dealers for a week and they are scratching their heads. They were getting very low oil pressure on a gauge they replaced the sensor with. They felt my oil seemed to thin so they drained it and filled with new 10-40 and were shocked to only get 8psi. Suzuki has authorized replacement of oil pump and we are awaiting part. They did test cylinders and they were all in the 150psi range. Mechanics says thats not bad but a new engine is around 180 psi per cylinder. My motor has 350 hours.
                        Mechanics say motor is running cool and thats where the fuel in oil may be coming from but Suzuki only recommends one choice in thermostats. I replaced both at 300 hours when I got an overheat alarm at idle.
                        Is there any other tests I should ask for? Is there a chance of hidden damage that isnt being addressed by only changing the oil pump?

Comment

Originally posted by barrell View Post
                          So my df300 has been at the dealers for a week and they are scratching their heads. They were getting very low oil pressure on a gauge they replaced the sensor with. They felt my oil seemed to thin so they drained it and filled with new 10-40 and were shocked to only get 8psi. Suzuki has authorized replacement of oil pump and we are awaiting part. They did test cylinders and they were all in the 150psi range. Mechanics says thats not bad but a new engine is around 180 psi per cylinder. My motor has 350 hours.
                          Mechanics say motor is running cool and thats where the fuel in oil may be coming from but Suzuki only recommends one choice in thermostats. I replaced both at 300 hours when I got an overheat alarm at idle.
                          Is there any other tests I should ask for? Is there a chance of hidden damage that isnt being addressed by only changing the oil pump?
                          ''''''If that engine has been running at wide open throttle or even 4000rpm with only 8 psi I would be worried, 150 psi I don't like that on a near new engine, fuel in the oil getting passed the rings, I don't think so, that would have to come from another source. Leaking fuel injector I don't think so, if a fuel injector was not closing properly and that cylinder was only running rich but the cylinder still firing it would be picked up by the o2 sensor, the short tem fuel trims would shorten pulse width on the injectors and a code would come up on the dash. If the leak was heavy the cylinder would not be working and white smoke would be coming from the prop. 129 deg is a bit low for running temp. If the pressure regulator spring broke in the pump at least you know the amount of time you have had low oil pressure, but if it has been a gradual drop in pressure over time that is a worry.

Comment

redlowrey

129 deg is a bit low for running temp.
                            Both of my 2016 DF300AP's with 140 hours run:
                            129°f ideling for long periods
                            148°f at WOT

Should i am worried?

Chris

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
                              ''''''If that engine has been running at wide open throttle or even 4000rpm with only 8 psi I would be worried, 150 psi I don't like that on a near new engine, fuel in the oil getting passed the rings, I don't think so, that would have to come from another source. Leaking fuel injector I don't think so, if a fuel injector was not closing properly and that cylinder was only running rich but the cylinder still firing it would be picked up by the o2 sensor, the short tem fuel trims would shorten pulse width on the injectors and a code would come up on the dash. If the leak was heavy the cylinder would not be working and white smoke would be coming from the prop. 129 deg is a bit low for running temp. If the pressure regulator spring broke in the pump at least you know the amount of time you have had low oil pressure, but if it has been a gradual drop in pressure over time that is a worry.
                              I should have been clearer. The 8psi was only at idle. Oil pressure problem was not gradual but started suddenly. At 340 hours to be exact. Always at idle would I get the alarm never once it went into gear. The oil test report above says there is no sign of engine damage in the oil just a trace of aluminum which could be from pistons.

Comment

Working...
                              X