Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dt55 stalling and not idling

Hi and thanks for your help in advance,
    I have a 1985 dt55 that runs just fine on the throttle but will not idle and stalls out . If I turn the engine off briefly it will start up again but left for say 5 mins will be a pain to start again and require lots of choke. It also takes a lot of cranking to get fired up from cold. My thoughts are either a leak in the fuel line possibly - I just replaced the oring on the coupler not tried it yet, or the air mixture settings - anyone know what they should be set at? Or dirty idle passages in the carb which I'm hoping to avoid having to do.
    I am also hoping to find a replacement ignition switch as the one on it is a little worn I think and can be intermittent engaging the choke.
    Any help or advise would be greatly accepted

I think you'll find the dirty, or maybe blocked idle fuel pas-sages are your biggest problem, if it runs well at higher rpms. Starting and idling are all related to the idle/air fuel pas-sages (usually the air pas-sages will stay clean, but the fuel side gets dirty, slowing the fuel). At higher rpms the idle pas-sages are by-passed. If you're not running an additive in the fuel to keep the fuel pas-sages clean, those will block up and the air mixture screws won't mix air properly. When cleaning carbs Don't mix jets between carbs, some earlier motors had different jets to balance the different cylinders to run equally.
    The air mixture screws should be set at factory specs (same for each carb), and not changed (I don't know what yours should be set at, count the number turns in to close, before removal).
    If you're having problems with fuel hoses leaking air, or fuel, they should be replaced, before carb cleaning. Always use an additive in every tank of fuel. Ethanol fuels Will degrade the hoses on the inside, causing particles to block jets, filters, and passages. (You can tell if hoses are degraded if they feel soft and thinner in areas.)
    Also, anytime cleaning carbs use compressed air to blow through all air and fuel pas-sages, and reset idle/air mixture, and float-needle valve settings to factory specs.

Good luck, post back how it's going when able to let us know how it's going.

Comment

Thanks, is still a bit chilly up here in British Colombia but as soon as I get a chance I'll be out on the water so will let you know

Comment

Working...
      X