DF140 stalls at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF140 stalls at idle

I have twin 2007 DF140s. Engines start and run great. However, after backing off to idle the starboard engine stops after a few minutes. The tell-tale is putting out water though not strong.

We took the boat out last week to try to diagnose the problem and we noticed that the engine temp light comes on when the engine stalls. Wait a few minutes and the engine will restart. If run at a higher rpm the engine does not stall.

In reading this forum and looking at my service manual, etc. I now realize that when starting the engine all tach lights should come on momentarily (as they do on the port engine). In addition, it is my understanding that the buzzer should also sound at engine start. It does not sound on either engine.

So I'm thinking that the tach temp light not coming on at start is an indicator of some malfunction and that this stall issue with the starboard engine may somehow be associated with it.

Anyone know how to get the buzzer and temp light working and/or what might be causing the starboard engine stall at idle?

sounds like you have overheat engine. Have you replaced your water pump impeller and thermostat.

Comment

I'm planning on ordering the water pump repair kit on Monday for both engines. It is due.

I had not considered replacing the thermostat. Is the thermostat something that is normally replaced at the same time as the impeller and is that fairly straightforward?

Comment

DF140 Stalls

Hi Macedonia, seems you have had this problem for a year or so .If you store your boat uncovered and exposed I would suggest unpluging and cleaning all electrical connections in your wiring harness ,Remove the buzzer from the control box and test it, I recently had to replace mine. RPM should be around 650+- 25 ,you will need to list every thing you have done over the past year to update everyone, like what filters have you renewed , have you cleaned the VST etc

Comment

Originally posted by macedonia View Post
          I have twin 2007 DF140s. Engines start and run great. However, after backing off to idle the starboard engine stops after a few minutes. The tell-tale is putting out water though not strong.

We took the boat out last week to try to diagnose the problem and we noticed that the engine temp light comes on when the engine stalls. Wait a few minutes and the engine will restart. If run at a higher rpm the engine does not stall.

In reading this forum and looking at my service manual, etc. I now realize that when starting the engine all tach lights should come on momentarily (as they do on the port engine). In addition, it is my understanding that the buzzer should also sound at engine start. It does not sound on either engine.

So I'm thinking that the tach temp light not coming on at start is an indicator of some malfunction and that this stall issue with the starboard engine may somehow be associated with it.

Anyone know how to get the buzzer and temp light working and/or what might be causing the starboard engine stall at idle?
          ''''''So what you are saying when you turn the key on the tach light and the temp light don't come, on but when it stalls the temp light comes on. When the engine is running in cruise throttle there is no indication that it is hot. Are you any good with a multimeter.

Comment

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Over the last year I've changed out the water-fuel separators with Racors and changed out the low pressure fuel filters. I've also changed the oil filter, oil, and spark plugs.

Idle speed is within the service manual spec for both engines (700 +/- 50 rpm). In-gear idle speed should be approx 700 (per service manual) and I need to check that and will report back.

Saturday, I'm working with a marine electrician to evaluate and resolve any electrical issues.

Over the last two weeks I installed the water pump repair kit (which includes a new impeller). Both old impellers had lost their flexibility so I think they were due. And I also removed and cleaned the thermostats - each had some minor salt deposits.

I've tested the engines with 30 min and 1 hour runs in the bay near where I live (mostly between 4000 and 4500 rpm). The starboard engine did not stall after each run so I think I've fixed the problem. However I did notice that the port engine has a slightly stronger tell tale than the starboard engine.

Yesterday I flushed both engines with CRC Salt Terminator via the water hose flush port. Water exits the tell tale on the port engine but not on the starboard engine so I'm thinking that there is some blockage that is causing this. Any ideas as to how to mitigate this issue?
            Last edited by macedonia; 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
              ''''''So what you are saying when you turn the key on the tach light and the temp light don't come, on but when it stalls the temp light comes on. When the engine is running in cruise throttle there is no indication that it is hot. Are you any good with a multimeter.
              Yes, I am good with a multimeter. What should I check?

Comment

Macidonia
                Try testing the gauge seperatly to see if the lights light up http://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/a...1&d=1490338515
                Attached Files

Comment

When we turned on the ignition switch yesterday on the starboard engine, we noticed that the temp light does in fact light up - it's just not as bright as the other lights. I think the reason we could see that it was working is that it was overcast yesterday. The electrician thinks that the temp light intensity on the starboard gauge is internal to the gauge itself. We cleaned all the connections in the console, those going to the gauges and controls - there was corrosion on most of the connections. Neither warning buzzer is operating so I ordered one yesterday. If that solves the problem I'll order the second.

Comment

Originally posted by macedonia View Post
                    Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Over the last year I've changed out the water-fuel separators with Racors and changed out the low pressure fuel filters. I've also changed the oil filter, oil, and spark plugs.

Idle speed is within the service manual spec for both engines (700 +/- 50 rpm). In-gear idle speed should be approx 700 (per service manual) and I need to check that and will report back.

Saturday, I'm working with a marine electrician to evaluate and resolve any electrical issues.

Over the last two weeks I installed the water pump repair kit (which includes a new impeller). Both old impellers had lost their flexibility so I think they were due. And I also removed and cleaned the thermostats - each had some minor salt deposits.

I've tested the engines with 30 min and 1 hour runs in the bay near where I live (mostly between 4000 and 4500 rpm). The starboard engine did not stall after each run so I think I've fixed the problem. However I did notice that the port engine has a slightly stronger tell tale than the starboard engine.

Yesterday I flushed both engines with CRC Salt Terminator via the water hose flush port. Water exits the tell tale on the port engine but not on the starboard engine so I'm thinking that there is some blockage that is causing this. Any ideas as to how to mitigate this issue?
                    On Thursday of last week, I finally solved why the starboard engine would not pee when flushing with water via a hose connected to side water inlet - there was a small impeller piece just inside the pilot hole. My guess is that it's a piece of impeller that was changed out before I purchased the boat. I'm thinking that this could have been the cause or partial cause of the overheating and stall problem. After removal, I flushed the engine again using the water hose method and the engine did pee as expected. I think the problem is now fully resolved. ***.impeller piece.jpg

After working on the electrical issue, I ran the boat for 2 hours yesterday - no issues. I checked the in-gear idle speed on the engines and it's approx 700 (the port engine is a bit under 800 and the starboard engine very close 700).
                    Last edited by macedonia; 03-26-2017, 06:33 AM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Originally posted by catacom225 View Post
                      Hi Macedonia, seems you have had this problem for a year or so .If you store your boat uncovered and exposed I would suggest unpluging and cleaning all electrical connections in your wiring harness ,Remove the buzzer from the control box and test it, I recently had to replace mine. RPM should be around 650+- 25 ,you will need to list every thing you have done over the past year to update everyone, like what filters have you renewed , have you cleaned the VST etc
                      We cleaned all the connections as recommended. We also found two connections (related to the buzzers) that were so corroded that they came apart when touched. We repaired with new connectors. I ordered a new buzzer and determined that the current buzzers were both bad. The second buzzer should arrive Tuesday. That should take care of it.

Comment

Working...
                      X