DF-140A Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF-140A Question

We just bought one of our marina's rental 2019 tritoons with a 2019 DF-140A on it. I had noticed that when the marina put the boats away for the night on their lifts that they always tilted the motor all the way up. When I asked why they told me that if the motor is left in the down position that oil "runs down" and causes them to smoke upon startup. I have been leaving ours down for the 3 weeks we have owned it and have seen no smoking on startup. Has anyone heard of this?

I was told the opposite. If the motor is left up, it is more likely to smoke. My experience was that as well. If it was left up for several days it would smoke on startup. Started leaving it down and no smoking on startup. 2017 DF140A. I always assumed that leaving it up allowed oil to pool on top of valve train, leaving it down allowed it to drain back to oil pan as designed. I was also told it was better to leave it down as the tilt/ trim would be fully retracted and protect it from corrosion.

Comment

That makes a lot more sense to me plus I would think water would run out more easily with it down - a concern here in Missouri during winter.

Comment

The reason they raise a motor all the way, if they don't have time to lift them out of the water for proper storage, at least the motor will be out of the water. Aluminum alloy is destroyed by electrolysis. The anodes are protection, however leaving a motor in the water is asking for trouble. And it's 10x's worse in salt water.
        Also, water runs out better in the down position. When a trailered boat is returned home we flush out the motor. As soon as the motor is lowered from the trip home, more water always runs out.

Comment

The boats are on lifts so there is no danger to the motor. Just seemed a weird reason to keep the engine trimmed all the way up. Ours will stay down as it's on a lift too.

Comment

There was some discussion on this form that if an engine was “negatively” trimmed that there is a possibility that oil could seep into the cylinder. I looked back thru the threads but couldn’t find the post. If the front of the lift was higher than the rear then the engine would be “negatively” trimmed. My boat is moored in the lake all summer trimmed up with the tilt lock engaged. When in winter storage it is always trimmed down so water can’t accumulate in the prop exhaust port.

Comment

I found that discussion: https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...es-at-start-up

I'll research it further but sounds like it doesn't need to be all the way up - just not be left in negative trim and check and see how level your lift is. ##Edit, Googled around and, yes, if a 4 stroke outboard is left with trim all the way down that can put the crankcase higher than the cylinders and oil will seep past the rings. Sounds like it doesn't need to be tilted all the way up just don't leave it all the way down. And if your lift isn't level you may need to tilt it more or less depending. Thanks for the help all.
              Last edited by ShellKnobCat; 09-28-2020, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X