DT9.9 water flow issue, possible leak from driveshaft bearing housing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT9.9 water flow issue, possible leak from driveshaft bearing housing

Hey guys, I have a 1994 DT9.9 2-stroke, Its never really spit out of this telltale but I also recently starting noticing issues with it not wanting to spit water out of the exhaust port when idling, it worked fine when under power, eventually it stopped pushing water out altogether and I stopped running the motor.

I figured the impeller was on the way out even though I just replaced it last year, so ordered a new one and had it shipped down to me in Baja, MX where I live.

Drained the lower unit fluid yesterday, looks like it got some water in the there, a bit milky. Went ahead and pulled the lower unit and checked on the impeller, one fin was slightly torn but overall it looked in good shape, went ahead and changed it anyway.

While I had the leg off I went ahead and pressure tested the case, it held 10psi of air without any signs of leakage. Hmm no leaks, odd. I figured maybe it was my drain/fill screw gaskets letting some water in to the oil? I replaced those as well and put it all back together.

Fired her up, still not pushing water out of the exhaust or telltale. hmm. Bad thermostat? I pulled the thermostat and checked to see if I was getting water there, nope no water there either.

Must be a blockage somewhere.

Took the lower unit off again and gave the motor a flush with the hose through the open thermostat, saw plenty of water coming out of the water pickup tube at the bottom. OK, doesnt seem to be blocked.

Stuck it back together again and fired up the motor, she started peeing for the first time ever and also had plenty of water at the thermostat, yay! I let her idle for a while, monitored the temps with my IR gun and all seemed good

Revved her up from idle and noticed the telltale start to weaken, eventually it stopped altogether, damn. Cut her off, pulled the thermostat and started her back up again, again no flow to the t-stat.

Flushed it again, same story, started out ok but when I revved it up the flow would stop.

All signs point to some sort of blockage somewhere, maybe a piece of old impeller or salt buildup in one of the water channels.

I continued back flushing the motor and saw no signs of blockage anywhere.

I figured let me flush the lower unit too, I started to shoot water up through the pickup at bottom of the leg and noticed water was coming shooting out of the sides of the driveshaft bearing housing, underneath the water pump.

I had my wife record a video of where I saw the water leaking out. Is this normal or not? Possibly my water flow/water in oil problem? I snugged down the water pump housing bolts just in case they werent tight enough but still have the same issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzrI8OEzdPM

the leaking seal is #21 in this parts diagram
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...il.asp?ID=6468

I actually have a new seal and wanted to change it out but I cant get the driveshaft bearing housing to come off the driveshaft, it binds up about 1/2 way up the shaft, is there a key somewhere or do I need to pry out the inner bearings before I can remove it?

Last edited by defrag4; 09-29-2020, 05:42 PM.

sorry for the long post!

Comment

Went back out there and mucked with it some more, I was trying to pull the driveshaft bearing housing up and off of the driveshaft and in the process removed the whole dang thing, which I guess is ok since it gives me access to the gasket now!

2DJaFw1.jpg

certainly torn up and I can see how water would get into the gear case now, missing a big chunk of gasket right around that water passage!

qBl2h5b.jpg

IXSkrmq.jpg

Last edited by defrag4; 09-29-2020, 06:33 PM.

Comment

well I got that gasket changed out, pressure tested her again, 100%

flushed the hell out of the block again via the thermostat

but it all back together

and shes pissing and throwing water out of the exhaust, yay!

good stream at idle and 1/2-full throttle, stops pissing water at 1/4 throttle, weird

going to take her on a sea trial now!

Comment

so seatrial started out well, motor ran great, pissing water and everything, cruised around for about 15 mins without issue

got her up on plane and after about 5 mins of WOT i noticed it stopped spitting water, cut it off and drank a beer, had some trouble getting her started again, eventually got it started, not pissing at idle, was ok when i was on the throttle

headed back to the beach and put it back on the trailer

back at the house i fired it up in the bucket, not pissing water at idle or on the throttle now

the saga continues...

will mess with it more tomorrow, i am thinking i need to pull the damn powerhead out and take a look at the exhaust plate and probably the head as well, still think there is a chunk of something in there blocking up the works

Comment

When you changed the impeller did you change the base plate and gasket or just the impeller? Suzuki recommends changing it all out and sells a kit that has all the components needed for a water pump servicing.

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
              When you changed the impeller did you change the base plate and gasket or just the impeller? Suzuki recommends changing it all out and sells a kit that has all the components needed for a water pump servicing.
              thanks for the reply Murray, I changed out the base plate, gasket and impeller together

Comment

Working...
              X