1998 DT140 EFI RPM Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 DT140 EFI RPM Problems

I have a 1998 DT140 EFI (2 stroke) with some issues. While operating at about 5000 RPMs, I experienced a sudden drop to about 4300 RPMs. The outboard is on a jet boat so I figured I had sucked something up in the pump. I secured the outboard, trimmed up, found nothing in the pump, so I trimmed down and tried to take off again. When I tried firing it back up it was having difficulty starting. I was able to get it going by dropping the high idle lever and immediately clutching in. I was still only able to get about 4200-4300 RPMs out of it which was not enough to get on plane.

I have done the following:
    Replaced Racor filter (it is running on new fuel so I'm not concerned about bad fuel)
    Cleaned fuel/water separator
    Cleaned in-line filter between VST and High Pressure Fuel Pump
    Dismantled Low Pressure Fuel Pump- everything looked great
    Checked Fuel Injectors- all looked good as new; all were spraying with good pressure
    Changed all 4 spark plugs
    Checked spark on plugs- all good
    Replaced Fuel Pressure Regulator
    Replaced Air Pressure Sensor
    Replaced Throttle Valve Sensor
    Set idle screw to spec
    Tested compression: bottom cylinder was ~135 PSI, top 3 were around 160 PSI. Everything that I have seen suggests 140 PSI should be about normal. Not sure how concerned I should be about the discrepancy, but its definitely on my radar.

After doing all of this I was able to run the outboard at the house on a hose for about 15 minutes with no issue. Put it in the water and once I pushed away from the pier I notice a significant issue with thrust. It was harder than normal to back. I took it out and tried to get it up on plane with no luck. Stuck at 4200 RPMs. The throttle controls reach 4200 at the appropriate spot, but as I push the controls forward to WOT its just not there. She doesn't act labored or anything getting to 4200, she just gets there and doesn't go any higher. When I got back to the pier it was having difficulty at low RPMs and shut down while idling a few times.

I am in a remote area of Alaska with no Suzuki shop nearby. The gauges don't appear to have a "check engine" light so I can't read any faults. Anybody know if there is a light/code reader that I can plug in on this model? I'm running out of options and am starting to seriously consider re-powering. Its a shame though because this outboard is very well maintained and should have a ton of life left in it! Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

The only thing that ran through my mind was the throttle cable. Is it actually moving the throttle lever assembly (stuff). I know you had issues with reverse but it still moves by throttle. I don't know what else could be related. There are others on forum that may suggest something. Good luck brother, you were thorough in you troubleshooting.

Comment

If the cables are fine, then I'd be concerned about the compression difference of the bottom cylinder. As a rule of thumb, 10% is the max difference between any cylinders. So if the bottom cylinder is below 144 psi, it is a concern. The 140 psi is the normal good compression by book, but each motor manufactured starts out with different full compression psi with new rings/cylinders/etc, until they are broken-in, and the rings have seated completely. All of the cylinders at that point have all run evenly, and generally will have similar (within 10%) compression. They should all run the similar compression (within 10%) until something affects one or more cylinders.

Rather than throwing more dollars into it, get a scope to view inside the plug hole of the lower cylinder, to see if a problem exists there?

Best of luck, post back on what you find out .

Comment

Thanks for the response. The cables look good. Throttle opens fully at WOT.

I'll definitely start looking into the compression difference. At this point I almost hope that this is the problem. I know its an expensive fix, but at least its a fix! Thanks for the input. I'll keep you posted.

Still very open to other ideas!

Comment

General consensus here is broken or cracked reeds, I have a similar issue and will be pulling intake to look at them

Comment

Just pull a plug, not the intake. The good cylinders are excellent comparison to bad. They make an excellent small camera available at H****r Freight. I think it's from Ames. Around $80. Some auto stores have borrow tools also.

Comment

Working...
            X