Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Dreaded White Wire

Hi folks,

I have been having problems with my white wire on 2005 df90. I got the boat 2 years ago, and the previous owner (or someone) had installed a second 15 amp fusses in the white wire, so there are now 2... no idea why... but i left them there. A year later the warning buzzer stopped working, so i replaced it. It worked again for a while then stopped, I took it out, tested it and it worked fine, re installed it and it worked. This keeps happening and i can only assume it has something to do with my white wire, as that is where it gets power from.

Another problem that keeps occurring is getting no power from the white wire to the ignition or console trim tilt... this happens for a short period and then seems to work fine again. I have checked the connections on each end and they are fine. The white wire is hooked up to a battery switch that runs from one of my leisure batteries (this is so it avoid loads from the engine when cranking)... could this have something to do with it? do i really need to have it direct to the battery? Sometimes I will turn the white wire battery switch on, and get no power to the ignition or trim, but if I then turn it off and on again, it works (trim at engine is fine)

I have enclosed a pick and circled the white wire,

thanks all.

Noah
    IMG_2520.jpeg
    Attached Files

Move it to the output terminal of your switch that comes off the start battery. Then see what happens. Not saying it will cure your problem for sure, but it might. You may have an additional problem in the white wire circuit. But the start battery (or switch) is where it's supposed to be connected.
    Mike
    μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Still having the same issue... is the white wire easily replaced?

Comment

You will find a lot of useful info re white wire and its replacement here

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...-power-failure

Comment

There is a quick disconnect for the white wire at the front of the engine. I assume it was placed there to make removal of the power head easier. I will restate, on my 07 there is one. I discovered that occasionally my engine would not do anything (typical white wire issue). Trim up and go home, it would work. Realizing the crimp connect for one side of the disconnect was loose. I solid connected and heat shrieked the wire. If you are having intermittent issues you should look for this. Follow the white wire through large rubber grommet on engine, where gas line, power to starter, etc. run. Mine was right under the throttle body in a large group of wires. You will have to take off the port side cover to see.This may be your issue as well.

Comment

Rereading your original post concerning your year model (2005)..... you DEFINITELY have a quick disconnect in the front portion of your engine. That is where your problem is. concerning on again off again circuit.

Comment

Thanks v much. Makes total sense regarding the intermittent side of it. I will take a look and see what I can find.

Comment

I took the cowling and side panels off, but could not find what you are describing. Do you have a pic?

Comment

Oh my. You should see a white wire that is going to the ecu. There are bundles of wires. However, this will be a single white 12 ga wire. It has a push together connection that is light green clear color (translucent).
                  Last edited by briscoe; 12-13-2020, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I can't get to the project today. If you can wait till tomorrow. I'll open it up and get a pic.

Comment

That would help a lot

Comment

I didn't need to take the sides off. I hope one pic shows where the wire is coming through 3" grommet (can't think of the name to save my neck). Rigging hose! That white wire shows the green clear rubber disconnect. Inside that rubber boot is a quick disconnect. I was told that it was a place they could test voltage. I don't know. I do know that if you trace through the rigging hose grommet there should be a single white wire, along with bundle of wires, fuel line, steering cables etc. 20201214_114850.jpg

20201214_114919.jpg
                        Trace the white wire through the 3' grommet and follow it to where it comes out on the port side of the engine. Somewhere in front part of the engine is a quick disconnect. Pull on it with your fingers it will pull apart or the wire will come out of the connection.
                        I hope you can understand this.. Good luck

Comment

Thank you very much for the pics! Interesting my engine does not have this... I have taken them covers off snd inspected but cannot even find the wire coming out of the rigging hose! I think it could be covered up in the big bundle of wires... but cannot see where it comes in from the rigging tube. Humph

Comment

Thank you very much for the pics! Interesting my engine does not have this... I have taken them covers off snd inspected but cannot even find the wire coming out of the rigging hose! I think it could be covered up in the big bundle of wires... but cannot see where it comes in from the rigging tube. Humph

Comment

Doesn't that bundle of wire go into one plug? There should be a single white wire around there somewhere. It is by itself. Sorry info wan't helpful. You need to locate the white wire off ECU and trace it back.

Comment

Working...
                              X