Alternator charge controller ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternator charge controller ?

My DF115A has a 12v/40 amp alternator that charges the starter battery.
    I wonder if the charging current/voltage is regulated by a controller ?

I have a solar panel on my boat with an MPPT charge controller that makes sure the batteries get the most optimum charge.

I'm not sure if the charge delivered by the engine is controlled in anyway as well (not necessarily MPPT),
    or that some additional controller would be usefull to make sure my battery get this right charge.

Big Thanks,
    V.
    DF115A - Jeanneau Merry Fisher 605

All Suzuki engines have a regulator that ensures the charge going to the battery is at the correct voltage.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
      All Suzuki engines have a regulator that ensures the charge going to the battery is at the correct voltage.
      Thanks!.
      Is that this 3-stage charging that current 'smart' battery chargers offer ?

Comment

The alternator on your motor produces three phase AC voltage and current that has to be rectified and regulated to 14.7. 15.2 volts on your engine The output current depends on the loads that are placed on the engine. Your solar panel only produces DC and your mppt controller is only topping up an already fully charged battery, every morning it will still do its three stages of charging bulk, absorbion, and float, because the the voltage of the battery is high, the bulk and absorbsion phases will be short, and the float stage will maintain the voltage around 13.7 volts and enough current to maintain that voltage.
        Your mptt charge controller is a bit of over kill for topping up your batteries, but in saying that a quality brand controller like Victron will switch very close to the settings you put in.

Comment

Originally posted by redlowrey View Post
          The alternator on your motor produces three phase AC voltage and current that has to be rectified and regulated to 14.7. 15.2 volts on your engine The output current depends on the loads that are placed on the engine. Your solar panel only produces DC and your mppt controller is only topping up an already fully charged battery, every morning it will still do its three stages of charging bulk, absorbion, and float, because the the voltage of the battery is high, the bulk and absorbsion phases will be short, and the float stage will maintain the voltage around 13.7 volts and enough current to maintain that voltage.
          Your mptt charge controller is a bit of over kill for topping up your batteries, but in saying that a quality brand controller like Victron will switch very close to the settings you put in.
          Appreciate you comments!
          50W Sunbeam solar panel keeps the semi traction starter battery topped of when the boat is docked: I don't like the hassle of shore power.
          It also charges & tops of a second, service battery (semi traction) by means of a Xantrex echo charger, that redirects excess charge for the starter battery to the service battery, without combining the two.
          Yes, the controller is a Victron Blue Solar unit: I cannot compare with other brands, but I understand its good stuff.

I'm just wondering why my modern -at least so I'm told- engine doesn't have the same modern battery charging technology, like available in the solar controller and the smart battery chargers these days. The MPPT stage voltages are set at 15.2, 14.4 and13.5 My engine is used for hours and hours during trips, and if this means it is continously charging at 14.7-15.2 voltage, the engine might even be harming the batteries.
          Last edited by Vronsky; 12-23-2020, 04:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X