Which prop?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which prop?

I have a 6.7 mtr aluminium boat (Barcrusher) fitted with a DF175APX. The motor came fitted with a 3X16X18.5R prop and I have a spare prop which is a 3X15X21R. Can someone explain what the effect of changing props would have on performance or fuel economy etc.and which would be best fitted to my boat which is only used for fishing off shore

Hardly anyone on this forum from the USA will have heard of Barcrusher boats. They are an Aussie made boat of course.

Anyway, the topic of how to select a good prop for your boat comes up often, which is why I put together a guide and it is now stuck in a thread at the top of this forum. Its well worth a read to help you answer your own question.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...the-right-prop

Also I note that you mention current prop is a 18.5 pitch - if that is an alloy prop, then its performance will be limited. For offshore use you will get much better performance from a Suzuki or possibly a SOLAS prop (but cheaper not quite as good though). Your Suzuki dealer would be a good place to start re options, they probably have experience propping similar boats and can help out.

But anyway read the article in the sticky thread and consider doing the tests and gathering the data suggested there. It will greatly help the dealer or prop shop to advise you on choices.

Comment

Both are Suzuki Stainless props.

Comment

Sorry to tag on to this thread but don't know how to start new thread??? I am looking for someone with the same setup as mine? Looking for new prop on my 2005 DF140 with 2.381 gears. On an 1801 Parker. Currently running aluminum 3x14x17 that is pretty beat up! Already read the post and sticky for engine height. Do not have the ability to go to a shop and try props. So looking for people with my setup to steer me in the right direction. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Makida123 View Post
          Sorry to tag on to this thread but don't know how to start new thread??? I am looking for someone with the same setup as mine? Looking for new prop on my 2005 DF140 with 2.381 gears. On an 1801 Parker. Currently running aluminum 3x14x17 that is pretty beat up! Already read the post and sticky for engine height. Do not have the ability to go to a shop and try props. So looking for people with my setup to steer me in the right direction. Thanks
          To start a new thread is easy. Just go to the main page where all threads are listed and hit the pale blue “+new topic” button. Its just immediately below the TOPICS red box.

You might get some ideas by going to the Suzuki outboards USA website and selecting your hp engine and then check out the boat performance tests lusted for that engine. There are usually quite a number of boat tests there and you could find a similar boat to yours on the list. They include lots of details of the boat setup and performance including the prop details there. Including some older tests too.
          Last edited by Moonlighter; 01-10-2021, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks I tried that and when I went to the Parker sight it wasn’t Parker boats??? I’ll try again but figured there are so many Suzuki guys that have Parker boats I might get lucky. Unfortunately Parkers are sold with Yammies ☹️

Comment

Moonlighter you replied "To start a new thread is easy. Just go to the main page where all threads are listed and hit the pale blue “+new topic” button. Its just immediately below the TOPICS red box." I do not have this on my screen? I tried my laptop thinking it would be a different screen than my phone but no. My home page does not show a red box TOPICS. Nor a pale blue +NEW TOPIC??? Maybe I asked wrong, I want to post my question about other Suzuki owners with Parker boats... I did post one but don"t see it? Search Makida123 and it's there but not on the forum topic board??? HELP please

Comment

Originally posted by Makida123 View Post
                Moonlighter you replied "To start a new thread is easy. Just go to the main page where all threads are listed and hit the pale blue “+new topic” button. Its just immediately below the TOPICS red box." I do not have this on my screen? I tried my laptop thinking it would be a different screen than my phone but no. My home page does not show a red box TOPICS. Nor a pale blue +NEW TOPIC??? Maybe I asked wrong, I want to post my question about other Suzuki owners with Parker boats... I did post one but don"t see it? Search Makida123 and it's there but not on the forum topic board??? HELP please
                You have to be on the page with the pale yellow “stickies” Just above the stickies on the left side. The link below should take you to where you need to be.

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/forum/general-discussion/suzuki-outboard-parts-forum
                ​​​​​​​

Comment

Thank you I'll give it a try. Yes looks like the right page. However there still is NO red box TOPICS and No pale yellow "stickies"??? It is however a page with stickies and a + NEW TOPIC. Thanks;]

Comment

Working...
                  X