Loop in steering cable??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Loop in steering cable??

I recently noticed a big, 360 degree loop in my SeaStar steering cable. Not at the end near the engine, as is sometimes done, but in the middle.
    Cable comes out of transom from starboard side to connect with the steering tube in a straight line.
    I always understood these cables need to be installed as straight as possible, avoiding bends.

Location of the loop in the middel of the cable seems pointless, almost looks as if the loop serves to fit a too long cable.

My mechanical steering has never been very light: could this loop be a cause ?
    Cable has been pre-installed in the Jeanneau factory, together with the other Suzuki rigging items.

Thanks,
    V.

DF115A - Jeanneau Merry Fisher 605

The cables provide supply pressure to the hydraulic fluid, right? The fluid doesn't care about a loop. The steering rack is pressurized by the fluid. That's the way I understand it.

Comment

Steering system is cable only, no hydraulics. Turning of the helm pushes/pulls a cable, which on the other end moves the engine left/right.
      DF115A - Jeanneau Merry Fisher 605

Comment

I think your assessment is correct. Somebody got a deal on a cable that was too long for the application. No reason for a loop.
        Mike
        μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

***, I didn't know sea star made a cable type steering system. I have a sea star and its hydraulic. Duh... should have seen "mechanical steering".

Comment

And I missed where you said it was "pre-installed" by the factory. Maybe there is a reason for the loop, but I'll be darned if I can see one. If it were me, I'd be seeing about replacing it with hydraulics, anyway. That 18-19 footer is too big a boat for cable steering in my opinion.
            Mike
            μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Originally posted by Harper View Post
              And I missed where you said it was "pre-installed" by the factory. Maybe there is a reason for the loop, but I'll be darned if I can see one. If it were me, I'd be seeing about replacing it with hydraulics, anyway. That 18-19 footer is too big a boat for cable steering in my opinion.
              Read somewhere that between 100-125HP is the point where hydraulic steering should be considered, anything above 125HP should have hydraulic steering.

Comment

Working...
              X