Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I remove the mid unit/oil pain without removing the power head and engine holder.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I remove the mid unit/oil pain without removing the power head and engine holder.

Hey there guys, I made a pretty dumb mistake while checking Tappet valve clearance today, can you guess what it was? That is correct, I dropped a shim from the #4 exhaust valve, it came off the magnet and plinko-ed right down into the oil. I was hoping to get lucky with a magnet or an inspection camera but had no luck. Ive done valves several times on different motorcycles I’ve owned, so I thought I’d give it a shot because I bought my boat used and the engines have 1300hrs. After checking clearance, several tolerances were too tight so I made myself a shim tool on the mill to see what shims I needed to order. On the very last exhaust valve, disaster struck! Any help is greatly appreciated. The engine is a 2006 df150. Thanks.

I would drain the oil & spend a few hrs. if nec. searching with my magnet before removing anything.

Comment

I'm in agreement with tsturm. Even if you fail to retrieve it, I think I'd even leave it there before tearing into the engine. It's not likely to hurt anything. There is a screen on the pickup, and anything that large and heavy is likely to just sit there in the bottom of the pan and not cause any trouble at all.
      Mike
      μολὼν λαβέ

Comment

Working...
      X