X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NEMA 2000 Network Compatability

Is a 2007 DF 140 compatible?

Thanks JIm

Yes, it outputs via the SDS diagnostic plug.

The issue as reported previously is getting data from the engine, to the network.

Currently, Suzuki makes 2 versions of the engine interface cable- version 2.9.4 which they say suits engines from 2008 - 2012, and version 3.5.4 which works with 2013 and newer.

From many people’s experience, the old version 2.9.0 did not work reliably with pre 2008 engines. But 2.9.4 is an improved version. I have seen unconfirmed reports that it may work with pre 2008 engines, and there is a possibility that they may be saying 2008 and newer now only because of the change at that time from the round SDS plug to the small rectangular plug that’s still current.

I am currently waiting on feedback from a member over on THT as to whether he is going to give 2.9.4 a try with his 2007 engine. If he does give it a try and reports back, we will know more. Waiting ........

Or, you could be the crash test dummy and give it a try and ket us know how it goes!

Final note:
    And the only other option is to obtain and old model interface cable that runs the .luf software, these were discontinued years ago and the latest software version they had was, I think, 2.8, so any cable marked 2.8 or earlier will be good, I can then send you the 2.5.0 file or even 2.30 to upload, and these will work with a 2007 engine.
    Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-18-2021, 07:07 PM.

Comment

Hi. I tried to send this as a private message to you Moonlighter, but I understand your innbox would be overflowing fast. but If you still have time and energy to answer yet another question about nmea network, here it is: 2007 df115 4" SMIS lowrance ti. I just installed everything and all is good except for fuel remaining.I get fuel consumption, but fuel remaining is blank. So is the Full and emty bar. Both smis and lowrance is set up with tank capasity of 100L. I have the correct version on the interface(programed it with the lowrance unit 2.30 ) and have read everything you and other have written so far. I guess it is just a programming error, but I can't figure it out. Sorry for the Norwegian - In one of the pages its says that motor HP is not valid, but when I go thru the programming I can put it to 90/115Hp (last picture)

Thank you for any input

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
        Hi. I tried to send this as a private message to you Moonlighter, but I understand your innbox would be overflowing fast. but If you still have time and energy to answer yet another question about nmea network, here it is: 2007 df115 4" SMIS lowrance ti. I just installed everything and all is good except for fuel remaining.I get fuel consumption, but fuel remaining is blank. So is the Full and emty bar. Both smis and lowrance is set up with tank capasity of 100L. I have the correct version on the interface(programed it with the lowrance unit 2.30 ) and have read everything you and other have written so far. I guess it is just a programming error, but I can't figure it out. Sorry for the Norwegian - In one of the pages its says that motor HP is not valid, but when I go thru the programming I can put it to 90/115Hp (last picture)

Thank you for any input
        Do this in the Elite ti, and Turn engine key on to where it beeps first:

Step 1: Vessel setup. Go to menu/settings/fuel then select vessel setup. Set boat to match yours eg 1 engine/1tank if that is what you have. Then set tank capacity.
        Step 2. Engine configuration. Menu/settings/network/device list. Select the Suzuki and then select configure. Set engine location as centre using the dropdown. Set engine year and hp using the dropdowns.
        Step 3. Run an auto select for data sources. Menu/settings/network then pick the option to auto select data sources and follow the prompts. (Make a note of this procedure as it often fixes mysterious missing data problems).

let us know how that goes.

(note: doing these steps in the Elite is actually changing network settings and as such the changes are automatically read by all devices on the network, so the changes will be picked up by the SMIS gauge without further action).

Comment

Thank you very much. I will try that this weekend

Comment

I run SMIS gauges via NMEA 2000 on twin 2003 DF140 engines.

Connection is made via Reverse K8 connectors and cables programed to run an early version, 2.3 IIRC.

I get a lot of data on the SMIS gauge, but have not been able to get any engine data on my Raymarine Axiom chartplotters that are on the same network.

Hope this helps,

Tito

Comment

IMG_1580.JPGIMG_1581.JPGIMG_1583.JPGIMG_1582.JPGIMG_1584.JPG
              Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

Do this in the Elite ti, and Turn engine key on to where it beeps first:

Step 1: Vessel setup. Go to menu/settings/fuel then select vessel setup. Set boat to match yours eg 1 engine/1tank if that is what you have. Then set tank capacity.
              Step 2. Engine configuration. Menu/settings/network/device list. Select the Suzuki and then select configure. Set engine location as centre using the dropdown. Set engine year and hp using the dropdowns.
              Step 3. Run an auto select for data sources. Menu/settings/network then pick the option to auto select data sources and follow the prompts. (Make a note of this procedure as it often fixes mysterious missing data problems).

let us know how that goes.

(note: doing these steps in the Elite is actually changing network settings and as such the changes are automatically read by all devices on the network, so the changes will be picked up by the SMIS gauge without further action).
              I must be a slow learner.I have done this 3 times over with fresh battery and everything turned on. Still no remaining fuel on the smis gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Buster View Post
                IMG_1580.JPGIMG_1581.JPGIMG_1583.JPGIMG_1582.JPGIMG_1584.JPG

I must be a slow learner.I have done this 3 times over with fresh battery and everything turned on. Still no remaining fuel on the smis gauge.
                Did you set the tank capacity as per my previous post??? If you dont do that, then fuel data will be problematic. See previous instructions.

The fuel used figure on the SMIS you are looking at is SEASONAL FUEL. Do you notice how it is labelled as such? The fact that all fuel use data on that SMIS page are blank suggests that fuel capacity may not have been set....

If you want to see the amount of fuel used since the last refuel “set to full” you need to change that to “FUEL USED”. Its so long since I have played with a SMIS that I cant remember how to do that but it can be done without too much drama. Dig out the SMIS manual and it will tell you how. You just have to change data source from Seasonal fuel to fuel used.

Also, every time you reconfigure the interface, I am pretty sure that fuel is all reset to 0. So the SEASONAL FUEL figure you now see as 0 is what I would expect to see after you have reconfigured the interface.

In the same FUEL MENU, you can see all fuel data. Go menu/Settings/fuel then you will see the fuel data page that I mentioned earlier where you have 3 options, being
                FUEL USED
                REFUEL
                VESSEL SETUP

Select fuel used. You will see there are 3 figures there for fuel used. They should be:

Seasonal fuel
                trip fuel
                fuel used (eg since last refill)

If Seasonal fuel is showing as 0 on that screen, then it will also show as 0 on the SMIS gauge, because all the data comes from the same source.

So, see what the 3 fuel used figures are showing on that page.

If that is the case, then in the SMIS, change that SEASONAL FUEL gauge to FUEL USED. It should then match the FUEL USED figure as per the Lowrance display.

If both show 0, put the muffs on the engine, start her up, and watch the FUEL USED figure in both the SMIS and the Lowrance as the engine runs. They will change at the same time.
                Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-26-2021, 08:02 PM.

Comment

To properly display FUEL REMAINING you must indicate the SMIS what the data source is. Factory default is a tank level sensor ... if you do not have a level sensor the SMIS can compute the remaining fuel by substracting the fuel used from the tank capacity that you configured in vessel setup.

Go to:

MENU
                  FUEL SETUP
                  FUEL DATA/Remaining SOURCE
                  select FUEL FLOW SENSOR

You may have to go through the fuel refill process on SMIS to get a value to display for the first time.

Tito

Comment

Originally posted by ritopaler View Post
                    To properly display FUEL REMAINING you must indicate the SMIS what the data source is. Factory default is a tank level sensor ... if you do not have a level sensor the SMIS can compute the remaining fuel by substracting the fuel used from the tank capacity that you configured in vessel setup.

Go to:

MENU
                    FUEL SETUP
                    FUEL DATA/Remaining SOURCE
                    select FUEL FLOW SENSOR

You may have to go through the fuel refill process on SMIS to get a value to display for the first time.

Tito
                    Fuel remaining or any other fuel measure that is a number is always sourced from the engine, (via the interface), not from a tank sender unit. The data from a tank sender can only be displayed on a bar graph or gauge, simply because it doesnt have any way to calculate numerical figures.

But yes, it is a data source issue. Should be easily fixed unless something very strange is going on.
                    Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-27-2021, 01:15 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=Moonlighter;n58860]

Did you set the tank capacity as per my previous post??? If you dont do that, then fuel data will be problematic. See previous instructions.

99l.jpg
                      When I set it to 100L it changes to 99.9 probably a conversion thing, but it is registered it seams.Anyway I am not giving up and will try again today. Thanks for all the help

Comment

[QUOTE=Buster;n58865]
                        Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post

99l.jpg
                        When I set it to 100L it changes to 99.9 probably a conversion thing, but it is registered it seams.Anyway I am not giving up and will try again today. Thanks for all the help
                        Yes mine does the same thing, changes to 99.9 litres. Dunno why but no biggie.

Anyway try the test where you open the fuel used page on the Lowrance, and run the motor and see how the data changes.

If that data looks good, and changes as the engine uses fuel, than all you need to do is fix the SMIS so it shows the right bit of info. Try the setting as per post #9 and I think you will also need to change the box to Fuel Used rather than Seasonal Fuel.

Comment

I am not 100% sure what I did but I was messing with the smis unit and noticed the voltage was low on that unit 11.9 but was good on the lowrance 12.6, Have to look into that. Anyway put the charger on and I got fuelremaining on the smis and tank is now showing full. On the lowrance I get eco(fuel burning) but not on the smis. I am now too cold and have to warm up a bit, but things are looking pretty good eco not showing.jpgeco.jpgfuel rem.jpg

Comment

The low voltage on the SMIS is probably reading the voltage supply to the unit - which comes from the network.

It would be worth checking the network power connection and fuse to make sure they are clean and tight. Undo, clean, replace. Low network voltage can cause data transfer issues.

Often you dont get eco data unless the boat is actually moving. Its also possible that you might need to set the speed source for eco, ifnits looking at water speed then it wont work.
                            Last edited by Moonlighter; 02-27-2021, 04:19 PM.

Comment

Thanks. All good points. I will check them out today.

Comment

Working...
                              X