DF2.5 very hard to start after not being used for a few weeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF2.5 very hard to start after not being used for a few weeks

My 2018 or 19 DF2.5 can be nearly impossible to start after 2 to 4 weeks of not being used. Once started it is sweet music and will start first pull the next time if it is within a few weeks. This model has fuel pump which is sitting at the very top of the engine. The fuel line comes out of the bottom of the tank rises maybe 6 inches to the fuel pump. Outlet of the fuel pump then goes down around 6 inches to the carb. There is also a line fron the carb to the pump which must be vacuum or something to supply the power that makes the pump, pump. It seems to be losing its prime. There is no way this has anything to do with old gas. Always use 91 with a bit of Revive in it. I bought it new. Worked great many times. Took a month off and would not start. Have been trying to pump fuel in by rotating the throttle fully and releasing. Do this way too many times to count. Give it a pull and do it all again. Repeat for 10 to 15 minutes and suddenly it will start. Then all is good as long as I continue to use it every week. My guess is loosing prime. Was going to figure out a way to prime it untill I seen that fuel pump way up high. Any ideas? thanks

what is the status of the fuel bulb ?
    do you give it a pump before you try to start?
    does this engine have the small inline fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump?
    Art

Comment

Have you checked the plug after a few pulls? Is the plug dry(fuel starvation) or wet(flooded)? Have you considered replacing the spark plug? Are all fuel lines/clamps tight? Have you checked the choke, does it close tight when applied? Art was wondering about a fuel bulb, I’m guessing there will be a primer type bulb of sorts, I have found with small engines with the primer type bulbs/buttons the manufacturer will say push 5X for cold starts when if fact it will take 15 or more pumps. Just tossing ideas out based on my experience with small engines.

Comment

Check all the lines for cracking, and any clamps for loose fitting. I'm not sure but there may be check valve in the tank to stop it from feeding back. Someone with more experience may know this one. Also check the seat in the Carburetor, maybe it's seeping fuel into the engine while it sits or leaking from the bowl on the carburetor. if it takes weeks to have it happen it would be a very slow leak if it is.

Just thoughts, good luck.

Comment

All good ideas. There is no primer. Not sure if there is a fuel filter. I have not checked the plug but assumed it was dry as a bone. What I do not like about the design is the fuel pump above the tank gas level. Any air leak in the hoses or the pump itself will result in air coming in rather than gas leaking out.

Comment

Probably an environmental design thing, should you develop a leak you aren’t pissing fuel to the environment or creating a fire hazard.

Comment

In an outboard with a tank the tank is below the engine so they give you a primer bulb. Any I have used only need to be primed if you have not used the motor for a few days. My tank is integral and the carb is low but because the fuel pump is high it creates this problem.

Comment

Opened the drain on the carb. Lots of gas. So much for my loss of prime story. Pulled the plug. Dry and has spark. Gave it a dozen pulls. Zero signs of life. Plug out, drop of gas in with syringe, plug back in, first pull away she goes. Tried a few hours later. First pull. Bought a plastic garbage can, built a stand and filled with water. First pull again. This motor will live in the garbage can and will be started regular and definitely before a fishing trip. Thanks to all who replied.

Comment

You drained the carb. and now it works, wonder if you were dealing with condensation? Consider using a fuel treatment for your fuel, one that specifically mentions dealing with water. I use SeaFoam but there’s lots of products that will help with moisture.

Comment

Thanks Murray. Yes I have learn’t how to work around the problem without knowing what the problem is. I have been using the Reveal because the dealer gave it to me. I had a carbuerated motorcycle that would carbon up. Tried everything from seafoam to mystery oil. None of them are as good as a correct design in the first place. Bought a Harley and never looked back. The Suzuki did not run after I drained the carb. Needed to give it a squirt of gas in the spark plug hole. But then again there are not many engines that will not start with that treatment. The interesting thing is there is only one other complaint of this problem on the forum or anywhere else. And nobody offered a solution to that fellow either. This engine does have lots of complaints about poor idle but mine purrs like a kitten. My life will be good if it continues to start.

Comment

Working...
                    X