Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT25C - steering

Hello,
    I am the new owner of a DT25C - believe to be a 2000 year model. It runs great but very scary if let go of the tiller hand while on plain. It does a hard right hand turn. Is it normal for an outboard to do this? safety reason to go in circles?

TIA

No, your steering should be neutral, should not pull either way. Check/adjust your trim tab. It's located above the propeller, looks like a tiny rudder.

Comment

Yes, adjust the trim tab.

However, when a motor is trimmed hard in (down) this torque steering that you have experienced is made worse. So that can be a factor as well.

Also, your motor may have a steering tension adjuster (check your owners manual) and this can be tightened up enough to reduce the likelihood of the motor swinging to the side if the tiller handle is let go. On my tiller DF40 it is a slide thing with a lever (front of motor, lower section) that can be adjusted one way or the other to tighten or loosen the steering tension. I have mine set so that I can let go of the tiller at low speeds and it stays straight.

As far as safety is concerned, its a good idea to connect the stop lanyard to your wrist when underway.
      Last edited by Moonlighter; 05-01-2017, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

It is very aggressive when you let go, I will play the trim tab.

I don't have the owner manual, I will look for the "steering tension adjuster". Also the motor does not have trim control, I am not sure how to set/verify the pin setting for when the motor is down.

Yes the lanyard will be used.

Comment

Working...
        X