Problem determination with Engine Interface

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem determination with Engine Interface

Please could someone offer some help. I’m in my third year of trying to get my DF250 to talk to my Lowrance units. Starting to feel quite lost!

I’ve followed Moonlighter’s amazing help doc but my interpretation is that I have everything I need to make this work. I’m not sure how to determine where the problem lies and my last resort is to replace all components again at some cost. I’d rather not!

Am I right in thinking that software 2.9.0 (sticker on the interface) should work with a 2010 DF250?

I can see Suzuki Eng Interface in the Lowrance device list. I can see different data sources, but I can’t pull through any data. (Link attached) Does this rule out the interface being broken?

What should I look at next?

For the record I’m using analogue gauges.

Yours desperately,
    Adam
    Last edited by HotPursuit; 03-12-2021, 12:58 PM.

Hello so you are not the only one!! I have the same issue with mine interface with my lowrance and SMG4 to my 2020 DF175. Im getting check gauge C when I power up. The hard part for me is my connecters were all cut out and spliced.

I have one conector with a pink\orange\grey\black wire.
    I hooked fuel to the pink and dark blue wire. So what is the signal wire the carries the data to gauge

Comment

Ok guys, there are 2 completely different issues at play here because one of you has the old interface based system, and the other, Buch, has the new Suzuki SMG4 gauge based system. Believe it or not these 2 systems are VERY different.

BUCH, could you kindly start a new thread with your issue so we dont get stuff mixed up between the two?

Comment

Hotpursuit, the first thing I would do is run an auto detect for data sources.

1. turn engine ley on and turn the Lowrance display on, and also turn all other displays etc that are networked on as well.

2. in Lowrance menu, select settings/network/then Pick the option to auto configure data sources. Done.

Then check the dashboard page.

If that doesnt work, then theres so other stuff....

- I need to ask what version cable you have, because V 2.9 came in both the new .swup software design, and the old .luf software design. Ideally, it will be the .luf design. The old cables had 2 x walnut sized noise resistors on them.

- Its also possible to determine drom the software details on the network device list, so open that up, select the Suzuki device and copy the full details of the software version from that screen and let me know what it says. The luf cable versions usually end in RRD or similar.

- Version 2.9 in the old luf software would NOT be my choice for a 2010 engine. I run version 2.5.0 on my 2010 engine and its perfect. So of you have a luf cable we can load V 2.5.0 o; ot and I am confident that will work.

- Version 2.9.0 on the new .swup cables was problematic for older engines. However they released an update Version 2.9.4 that was much better. So if its a new V2,9.0 8 would recommend uploading 2.9.4 and that MIGHT get it working.

So anyway try those suggestions, let me know the software stuff, and we can go from there.

Last edited by Moonlighter; 03-13-2021, 01:21 AM. Reason: Add diagram

Comment

See attached diagram

8766EBD4-1DAB-48E8-981C-AE1EC2836FA8.jpeg

Comment

The diagram above is how the network backbone should be set up.

Terminating resistors at each eand.

devices only EVR attached to the vertical leg of the T’s, never to the cross part of the T.

If you dont have it set up like this it WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS SOONER OR LATER.

Comment

100% the network layout is solid. The T for my eng interface sits next to my T for the Point 1 at the stern. I have an extension linking those T pieces to the rest of my backbone in the console. The point 1 works perfectly. Everything else works perfectly; radar, 2xMFDs, Link8 etc.

Comment

The first thing I would do is run an auto detect for data sources.

1. turn engine ley on and turn the Lowrance display on, and also turn all other displays etc that are networked on as well.

2. in Lowrance menu, select settings/network/then Pick the option to auto configure data sources. Done.

Then check the dashboard page.

If that doesnt work, then theres so other stuff....

- I need to ask what version cable you have, because V 2.9 came in both the new .swup software design, and the old .luf software design. Ideally, it will be the .luf design. The old cables had 2 x walnut sized noise resistors on them.

- Its also possible to determine drom the software details on the network device list, so open that up, select the Suzuki device and copy the full details of the software version from that screen and let me know what it says. The luf cable versions usually end in RRD or similar.

- Version 2.9 in the old luf software would NOT be my choice for a 2010 engine. I run version 2.5.0 on my 2010 engine and its perfect. So of you have a luf cable we can load V 2.5.0 o; ot and I am confident that will work.

- Version 2.9.0 on the new .swup cables was problematic for older engines. However they released an update Version 2.9.4 that was much better. So if its a new V2,9.0 8 would recommend uploading 2.9.4 and that MIGHT get it working.

So anyway try those suggestions, let me know the software stuff, and we can go from there

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter. I have limited access to the boat currently but I do have some screenshots from previous seasons.

I've got the following info on the Software

Software ver: 2.9.0-MZ1623C-B1.0
                  Model: 1.0.0
                  S/N: 5602

Does that help?

Again, many thanks. Much appreciated

Comment

That is showing it is running 2.9.0 in the new version.

I would run the auto detect data sources as per my previous post first of all. It should fix the problem, all things being equal.

Then if that doesn’t work, I recommend anyway to update the interface to version 2.9.4.its more stable and reliable. I would do this anyway, but try the auto detect first!!

Here is a link to V 2.9.4 in my dropbox folder, it only takes 5 minutes to do the upload once you have the file saved to a SD card.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8360u9l7jt...4_01.swup?dl=0

Download the file to your PC desktop, dont try to open it.

Then save the file to a suitable SD card of NO MORE THAN 32gb Capacity that will fit in your Lowrance display.

Once you have the file on the usb or sd card, put it into the HDS. Turn HDS on.

Then turn the engine key to on so the gauges activated. Engine doesn’t need to be running.

Then in the HDS menu, open the files menu, locate the sd card, open it and find the update file, and select upload. Wait while the progress bar shows its done.

When done, take the card out.

Then check and set the network configuration as follows, in this order, using the HdS.

1. open menu/settings//fuel/vessel setup. Use the dropdowns to set boat as 1 engine/1 tank or whatever your boat has. Then set the tank capacity. Exit.

2. then go menu/settings/network/device list. With both engine keys on, you should now the engine listed. Open the Suzuki device by highlighting and selecting Configure. Then Make sure you use the dropdown menu to set the engine’s location as Centre, its very important to get this right. Dont try to set engine hp or year, its auto detected and cant be changed.

3. finally if all that looks good, run an auto detect for data sources again.

Now test and it should, with an ounce of luck, all be good.

Comment

Awesome. Thanks so much, Moonlighter. It’ll take me a while to get access to the boat but I’m aching to try your recommendations. Really appreciated. I’ll report back.
                      Adam

Comment

Hi Moonlighter. Sorry for the delay in response.

I'm afraid the end result was negative on all counts.

Update to 2.9.4 went fine but alas end result is dead on-screen gauges after auto detect.

I did have one question. You stressed how important it is not to set an engine HP or year but I already had '2007 or older' against the year field. Is that expected? Engine type was blank.

Can I rule out a duff interface by the fact I was able to upgrade it? I suppose the cable between the interface and the motor could be damaged? Data not coming through perhaps.

I know it's not the motor as my mechanic generates the data print out each service. Assume it's from the same connection.

Or is it looking likely that I need to source the mythical v2.5 interface?

Just after some guidance on which way to go next, or indeed whether to give up.

Very much appreciated. Adam

Comment

With engine key on, open the Lowrance menu and then go to network/device list. Scroll down to the Suzuki device. Open it. Select the option for Data. This opens a window that details all of the data available from the engine interface.

Take a photo of that screen and post here.

If that screen shows the expected data with the engine not running, put muffs on the engine and start it up, and see what happens then to the data, it should become live.

This is going to tell us if the engine data is getting to the network or not.

Comment

Have you tried setting the options so the Engine is listed as Port? I see it's identified as centre in your original pictures and in everything I have read says you use it on the Port engine only. Just a thought? someone else want to chime in?

Comment

Rob, on single engine installs the correct location setting is Centre.

Comment

Working...
                              X