Dt100 thermostat direction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dt100 thermostat direction?

The 2 thermostats on my 1990 dt100 can be installed both "ways". On the brownspoint part diagram it looks like the wax element is pointing away from the engine, but ive been told it should point into the engine. My thermostats was removed by someone else and i cannot find any information on this

Both thermostats appear to be mounted where the frame support (2-3 legs attached to the outside lip/ring) are to the outside, the center core is mounted to the inside. The inside core opens when it gets hot, to allow water to flow into the head and pushes water back downward.

Good luck. Post back what is going on.

Comment

Not sure if i understand. Should the "plastic" temperature stamped part go into the engine?

Comment

It isn't easy to tell you, so take 2 pics of your thermostat sitting in the motor, lable the pics A & B, then post both pics here in your next message. It should be easier to tell you which pic (A or B) is the right direction. Make sure pics are pretty clear, and can see the thermostat, and top of motor where it is mounted. Once you know which way to mount one thermostat, the other will be the same way.

Good luck. Post back when able with the two pics.

Comment

http://cdn.boats.net/product/oem/bn/...af175cb23d.jpg

First I attempted to find a '90 DT100 in the parts list - don't find that model
          However the attached link is what all thermostats I have ever seen look like
          The spring side goes into the block
          When the water in the block heats up the element pushes against the spring, that is holding the gate closed, opening the gate allowing the fresh cooling water to flow into the block

Post a link to a DT 100 for me to look at

Comment

I am afraid the boat is 1 hour from here, so i dont have any actual pics, but let me try to explain

This is the thermostat:

This is the part diagram (part 17 is the thermostat)

For me it looks like the thin spring part goes into the engine, however, brownspoint tells me the "wax part" goes into the engine. That is not the way i read the pictures

Comment

Your analysis from the parts diagram looks to be the correct
              Both views show it being installed that direction
              There are a number of places you may be able to search for free online service manuals If you can would get your hands on one they are invaluable
              Art

Comment

Brownspoint now tells me the part diagram is wrong. I guess i have to trust them

Comment

The parts diagram is correct. The spring end goes into motor, the brass end towards the cover.

Good luck. Post back when able.

Comment

Originally posted by Solarman View Post
                    The parts diagram is correct. The spring end goes into motor, the brass end towards the cover.
                    Really?? I have asked brownspoint service twice, and attached the same pics as here. They said

"The picture on the parts diagram is incorrect
                    It is wax in"

By wax they mean the sensing element

Comment

Can you tell the water flow direction?
                      Place the thermostat on a pan of water and heat until it opens
                      It should open in the direction of the water flow

Comment

I am 90% sure thats what it does when fitted like the part diagram says. The water flows to the cover on the cylinder heads first. In my mind the water will then try to "push" the thermostat open

Comment

Mount the spring end inwards. The water flows through the thermostat and down through the head & cylinder cavities and back out from there. The temperature opens the thermostat.

Good luck.
                          Last edited by Solarman; 05-09-2017, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X