Spark issue, PLEASE HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark issue, PLEASE HELP!

Hello everyone! I am new to this site but I have come to find that forums really come in handy at times. I have recently bought my first Suzuki outboard but there seems to be a problem that I just can't figure out, so I hoping that someone can point me in the correct direction. I have a 1987 Suzuki DT75 that is not getting spark in cylinder #1. When I bought this outboard, I wasn't able to hear it run due to the location but I was able to at least check the compression. The compression on all 3 cylinders was 160 psi which I know is fantastic. The only thing the guy advised me of was that the carbs needed to be either cleaned or rebuilt. I also noticed that the oil injection system or has been removed from the engine so its a premix only. The guy did give me all the parts from the systems except for the pump. There is a block off plate covering where the pump was. This wasn't an issue to me since I have always had to use premix with other outboards that I've owned. I have recently rebuilt all 3 carbs, replaced the water pump and all 3 spark plugs. The is fires up and idles but it does smoke a bit. The last time I had it running, I decided to check that each cylinder was firing by disconnecting a plug wire one at a time to see if anything changed. Of course when I pull the plug wire from cylinder #1, there was no change. When I pulled the wire from cylinder #2 or #3, the engine would stall. At this point I decided to check the coil with a test light and there was no spark from the coil. I then swapped around the coils to see if it was the coil. When I swapped the coil from cylinder #2 to #1, the coil was working fine. Then I used my test light to see if power was getting to the coil from the CDI box. The Orange wire that goes from the CDI to the cylinder #1 coil was not putting out any voltage. The Blue & Gray wires that go to coil packs for cylinder #2 & 3 were both putting out voltage perfectly. I have been trying to read through the Clymer manual I have but it's very vague on the 86/87 model DT75. The only thing that I can gather from the manual is that there are 2 trigger sensors in the timer base that send pulses to the CDI box. One sensor sends the signal for Cylinder #1 & #3 and the other sends a signal for cylinder #2. Since cylinder #3 is firing just fine, I would like to believe that the trigger sensors are fine. I am feeling like either the CDI box is bad or the issue is caused by the oil injection delete. I know that there is a sensor for oil level but no flow on the 87 model. If there is no oil sensor connected, will this put my engine in "Limp Mode" and cut out a cylinder? Im not sure how the so called "Limp Mode" works on these outboards. If it wasn't for the fact that this engine has fantastic compression, I would have normally sold it for parts and bought something different. I have always owned Evinrude/Johnson outboards with very few issues over the years. I do own a 2008 Suzuki DF9.9 that is just an awesome little outboard, so I thought I would give a larger Suzuki outboard a shot. I am open to all information or advise on what path I should take with this engine, Thanks!

You could try connecting the oil level sensor back in, but tape the unit into the full level position, just to see if it makes a difference? If cylinder #1 starts firing, then you will know the sensor does matter. I didn't know the earlier models did NOT have a flow sensor at the bottom of the oil tank?

If the motor still doesn't fire on #1, then you might try and find a good used CDI?

On some of the earlier motors ('87 era?) they did use a combination heat sensor w/flow switch, and there were problems with those sensor/flow switches causing "limp mode", if the flow switch hung- up/stopped reading water flow, even though the motor didn't overheat it went into limp mode. Also, some people changed out those sensors, installing wrong parts? It might save you a CDI cost if your motor has this, or if it's not working?

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

Thanks for the idea! I tinker with the oil level sensor later today to see if that has any effect. As far as the oil flow sensor, according to the parts manual for the 86-87 DT75/85, they didn't incorporate the flow sensor in the DT75/85 until 1988. The only thing that my engine should have is a $5.00 round oil filter that is supposed to be inline from the oil tank to the oil pump.

I can't seem to find anything in the parts manual on a water flow sensor. I have a temperature sensor that I did test by grounding it out and it seems to be working as it should. It's almost like the 86-87 models were experimental years in new style electronics. In the mean time, I did go ahead and order a used/working CDI from Ebay for $165.00. There were a few others on Ebay but some people wanted $400 - $500 dollars for them. I guess either way, the cost a CDI is still cheaper than another outboard.

Comment

Working...
      X