DT 40 coil problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT 40 coil problems

Ok so I have a 1987 DT40 and motor ran fine for years we’ll I let the boat sit for 2 years so I took the motor to a local Mercury boat mechanic and he rebuilt the carb. Well then it wouldn’t start and he said he didn’t want mess with it because it wasn’t a Mercury and pretty much told me my Suzuki was junk. So he ended up changing the coils under the flywheel except for the lighting coil and I was there when he did it. It started right up but we shut it off right away took hook up the water. After that it would not start. We ran the test and no spark again. So we ran the voltage test and no volts from the primary coil and ignition sensor coil we just replaced. So it seems like the coil is bad again but is brand new. If anybody has any suggestions I’d be grateful. We checked the kill switch it’s working correctly. Thank you

If the new coils are truly bad after one start up, I'd think a voltage regulator/rectifier problem may be the cause, or possibly poor ground connection(s)?

Unless those coils get physically damaged, the only other way to damage them is by voltage/current?

Good luck, post back on what you find.

Comment

I’m thinking it’s grounding out some where because someone has changed the coil before and there’s a bunch of spliced wires. So I just bought new old stock that has the whole wires and plugs right in. The rectifier volts match the service manual. I didn’t like the way the old wires looked.

Comment

Working...
      X