No announcement yet.

2020 DF250 SS Overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So you guys were correct, after $500 at the dealer for on-water testing and 20 hours service and 2 weeks getting the IAC replaced, same problem.

We were driving home last evening on the lake and 10 minutes in, I increased the RPMs to 5000. After 5-7 minutes the engine overheated and went into limp mode. I looked at engine temp gauge on Garmin and it showed 175 degrees. After a minute or so temp dropped to 150 and we resumed at 3500 RPMs, no issue.

After another 10 min, I again increased RPMs to 5000 and within just a few minutes above scenario repeated itself.

I'm not sure what to do, dealer is a 3 hour drive away and I've got a new outboard with 6 years of warranty on it. Hopefully I can find a dealer with a decent mechanic.

My local dealers aren't interested in taking in warranty work on outboards not purchased there, so they'll push you off for 5-6 weeks.

Comment

I love to watch Youtube videos from Team Marine Service. Andy loves the 250 ss and suggest replacing the water intake screens with different ones to run the river where he lives. I just put a new 250 ss on my boat and I installed the new screens before I ever put in the water . If you have not done this I will include the part numbers and I got mine at Brownspoint Marine Service parts dept . They are awesome.
      17631-98J00
      17632-98J00
      I think these are off a 300 Offshore model and they have tons more openings for water.
      Hope that helps ... Rick M

Comment

Just off the phone with the dealer, they had thought that possibly the motor was mounted too high on the transom and was starving for water at 5000 rpm and over heating, they lowered one bolt hole and replaced the water pump. Then lake tested boat at 5000 rpm for 15 minutes - boat did great.

And then on the way back to the ramp, it overheated again..... says they'll call Suzuki next

Comment

If it was mine I would pull the thermostats and put them in a pot of water and heat it up and make sure their both opening right up.

Comment

yes, I mentioned the thermostat to the dealer this morning, I didn't realize that there were 2. I'm not sure that they know what to try next.

Comment

Thinking this is likely the fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4ADmcICitM

Dealer wants to try replacing the pop-up valve next

Comment

Sounds like they are now going to try 17631-98J00
                17632-98J00 after both me and Suzuki contacted them and suggested changing out the water intake vents.

Comment

New intake vents resolved the issue!!

Comment

Working...
                  X