Propeller selection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propeller selection

I recently purchased a 2021 Suzuki 50hp AVTL with a 14”x11 prop.at wide open I hit 6400rpm.would I be ok with a 14”x13 to get my rpm down?

If the rev limiter didn’t come on I wouldn’t change anything. I’m guessing conditions were idea and you were the only one in the boat.

Comment

My rev limiter did come on,I’m running a 16ft aluminum legend boat and yes I was by myself

Comment

I’m in the same situation as you are, once I add a passenger, a cooler and a full tank of gas I have to get very aggressive with the trim to hit the rev limiter. I keep an eye on the tach at WOT and keep the throttle backed off to stay out of an over rev situation. You could change the prop if you feel uncomfortable with the rev limiter coming on, try shooting for 6200RPM at WOT(or what ever your maximum RPM is stated in you operators manual)

Comment

Thanks for the info Murray!

Comment

Note that there is a sticky thread near the top of this forum discussing engine height and prop selection. Strongly recommend that you read it. In that thread, there's a statement: "The rule of thumb is that if you stick with the same brand and model prop as you have now, generally 1" of pitch = 150-200rpm change." So if you change your prop pitch by 2 inches, you should expect a 200-300 drop in RPM at wide-open throttle. If you don't hit the rev limit when you have an extra person in your boat, then I would probably suggest you go to 12", or buy the prop from someone who will let you test & exchange it.

Comment

Working...
            X