Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT4 recoil starter asbestos

Hi,

Picked up an old DT4 earlier this week. It's got this style of cover shown in the pic: TBFrHGY.png (934×594) (imgur.com)
    Popped the case off and found an asbestos warning sticker on the recoil starter. Never seen that one before on any previous DT4 engine I've owned. Can't find much else on the web other than a video of another engine with the same sticker: Suzuki DT4 4hp Outboard with Asbestos! - YouTube and a picture of a recoil starter with the same sticker ZolD6Oz.png (628×485) (imgur.com)

My questions are:
    Is it the recoil starter rope that's made out of asbestos?
    Is it present on all DTx engines?

I can't find anything in the manual regarding the use of asbestos.

I’d give Suzuki a call/email and ask them.

Comment

A few weeks have passed and I got an email back from a Swedish Suzuki reseller. According to them, the factory claims that "many parts" inside the engine, those not made out of metal, contain asbestos. They couldn't specify exactly what parts, but I've found two so far after testing them. The recoil starter rope & the gasket for the "impeller housing".

Comment

Many thanks for replying.

Learn something new every day. Out of curiosity what year is that engine? Country of manufacture, Japan I assume?

Comment

Unsure about year, but it's one of the earliest. Manufactured in Japan.

Comment

Working...
          X