2021 df300

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 df300

Hi everyone, new owner here with a question, on our last outing our engine struck the sandy bottom at idle and sucked up some of the sand. I've flushed the engine thru both front and rear ports a few times and even had it running in a large water trough for a while to clear the sand out but I still find sand coming out the pee hole, sometimes clogging it a bit. Besides continuing to flush the engine, is there anything else I can do to help flush all the sand out quickly? In another thread someone mentioned popping the pee hole "cap" off to help flush it our but it was for a smaller engine, does the 300 have one and if so, where is it? Thanks for the help!

Tell tale is usually located at the back of the mid unit.(below the engine). You should have two flush ports that you hook up a garden hose to, one on the engine and one on the lower unit. You could try flushing WITH THE ENGINE OFF. My comments are based on my engine, I’m not familiar with with your engine, consult your owners manual for flush port and tell tale locations.

Comment

Thanks Murray, like I mentioned before I have already done that numerous times and was wondering about this comment on another thread (can't remember where now) of a "pee hole cap" which I assume is located somewhere before the actual pee hole exit. I was hoping someone would know if, first: my engine has one, and second: where is it?

Comment

Sorry, I reread your post and see that you have flushed with the garden hose. I’ve never heard of a “pee hole cap” so I’ll assume your talking about the fitting at the discharge end of the pee hole tube. I believe it’s plastic and it turns to direct the pee hole water in the direction you want the pee hole water to go. Based on the below post I’m GUESSING it’s a friction fit, I’d suggest you call your dealer to confirm/verify before you try to pull it off. You may have to remove the plastic mid unit panels off to get your fingers under the cap. Another trick is to run a length of weed wacker cord up the pee hole while running the engine to help dislodge any stuck sand. Another concern you MIGHT have is the abrasive sand MAY have comprised or will comprise your rubber impeller over time. As I see it you have two choices, flush the living daylights till no more sand come out and run it watching very closely to ensure the engine is peeing water and no overheating alarms or drop the lower unit and disassemble the water pump to check and clean the inside of the water pump. Again you could get your dealer’s input. I have read on this forum that posters have sucked mud into the engine and between mud and corrosion have plugged the thermostat in a closed position and have run into an overheat condition, a situation you do not want to have!

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...le-replacement

Comment

Thanks again, after several flushing sessions it finally cleared up and I didn't have to turn it on so as not to damage the impeller. I read about the cap in another thread but now I can't find it so no worries, I looked all over my engine and it must be on a smaller model because I certainly didn't see anything. Anyway, it's good to go now!

Comment

I think the cap they might be talking about is the little fitting that the telltale water comes out of - I think they are much the same on all motors - you can turn them around 360 degrees so the water stream sprays out to the left or right side, up in the air or backwards etc etc.

I think you MIGHT be able to pry it off, and I suspect that would likely open up the water passage behind it more so that the flow of water goes straight out rather than being directed by that fitting. In suppose it might make clearing blockages easier.

But anyway it sounds like you are sorted so all good.

Comment

Thanks! Next time I flush the engine I'll take a look.

Comment

Working...
              X