SMG4 gauge not tracking avg fuel economy or trip distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SMG4 gauge not tracking avg fuel economy or trip distance

I have an SMG4 gauge hooked to a 2020 DF250. Last year I hooked it up to the NMEA 2000 network and everything was functioning properly, SMG4 showed my plotter under the device list (gps source) and the GPS position, avg fuel economy, trip distance was reported accurately.

This spring I added a B&G Z100 GPS heading sensor to the NMEA 2000 network for heading info. After splashing the boat for the first time I notice that the SMG4 was not tracking Avg fuel economy or Trip distance. Tracked everything else properly (Tach, fuel flow, hours, gps position, etc.)

The SMG4 gauge shows the GPS position and when I check the devices screen, I can see both the Z100 GPS sensor as well as my plotter.

While trouble shooting, I disconnected the Z100 from the NMEA 2000, yet the SMG4 still didn’t track avg fuel economy or distance.

Any thoughts?

Recheck that the speed source has not reverted to water speed.

menu/initial settings/sensor settings/water speed, should be set to off.

Comment

Also, having multiple GPS sources available may be causing issues.

I will ask my Suzuki sources if they have come across this issue and will let you know if I have any updates.

Comment

Thanks Moonlighter, I will check that water sensor settings as soon as i can get back to the boat.

I tried to specify a GPS source (under device list) but wasn't able to find a way to do it. I expected to be able to specify one or the other.

Comment

Originally posted by theclamman View Post
          Thanks Moonlighter, I will check that water sensor settings as soon as i can get back to the boat.

I tried to specify a GPS source (under device list) but wasn't able to find a way to do it. I expected to be able to specify one or the other.
          OK see how you go. ive asked my Suzuki contact the question, will let you know if they have any suggestions.

Comment

Ok, my Suzuki source tells me that you need to go into your plotter and tell the network which GPS source to use. Having several sources will cause the problem you’ve had.

You might need to consult your plotter manual on how to set the GPS source.

Comment

Thank you Moonlighter, i will give disabling the plotter internal gps a shot and report back.

I definitely wish the gauge firmware was smarter than that.

Comment

Just wanted to give an update checking the water sensor settings as Moonlighter suggested. As one would expect Moonlighter was correct!

For some reason the gauge reset to have the water speed sensor on. Once i switched the water speed sensor off, the gauge began tracking properly.

Interesting side note, the gauge does function correctly with 2 GPS sources, at least so far. After checking the Water sensor setting, I turned both GPS sources back on and the gauge continued to function properly.

Comment

We use two GPS pucks in mining applications so that the operator get the drill orientation on the screen. On small vessels orientation isn’t an issue, maybe on longer ships it might be handy. Think Ever Given and the Suez canal. Just a guess.

Comment

Working...
                  X