1988, Suzuki DT75CR - removing leg to change water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988, Suzuki DT75CR - removing leg to change water pump

Posting this here to assist a new member who is having difficulties starting a new thread.

Ive asked him to come her and post the details of the query he has re removing the leg (number of bolts to undo) to get the leg to drop so he can change the water pump etc.

Cheers!

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
    Posting this here to assist a new member who is having difficulties starting a new thread.

Ive asked him to come here and post the details of the query he has re removing the leg (number of bolts to undo) to get the leg to drop so he can change the water pump etc.

This is his first statement

I have removed the 9 bolts and the bottom piece is as tight as ever and does not come away. Is there some other release that is needed like maybe separating the gears? Whatever it is, how is it done? I would sincerely appreciate some info.

Cheers!

I have removed the 9 bolts and the bottom piece is as tight as ever and does not come away. Is there some other release that is needed like maybe separating the gears? Whatever it is, how is it done? I would sincerely appreciate some info.

Comment

Wondering if there’s a bolt hidden under the trim tab holding the lower unit from dropping? Corrosion on the drive shaft splines preventing the lower unit from separating from the mid unit?

https://www.suzukioutboardforum.com/...er-units-stuck

Comment

Yes the ninth bolt was at the back. I think I must disconnect the gear shift rod. There is a cover plate on the upper portion of the leg located between the leg and the stationary mounting. I haven't explored that yet because we've had a bit of rain. I am wondering what I've gotten myself into. How complicated does it get after the lower end has been removed? I was afraid to drive the pontoon boat to the loading dock since it doesn't seem to be getting enough cooling so I am standing in 18 inches of water to work on this.

Comment

Can’t speak for your lower unit, mine is a 2009, 5 bolts to undo the lower unit. Four bolts to undo the water pump housing, once the water pump is out the design is such that the parts only fit back on one way. Fairly simple job. I should note that my engine is a fresh water engine. YouTube has some videos that might help. A genuine Suzuki service manual would be a good idea, take all the guess work out of it not to mention a 1988 engine might have a few issues that you might find a service manual handy.

Comment

I believe you are right about that. I'm glad to hear that once the leg is apart it won't be too difficult to replace the impeller. It may be a few days before the weather will let me get back to it. Wind, rain and thunder this week.

Comment

Working...
            X