Upgrade Guages

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Guages

I have analog mechanical gauges for my dual 2018 DF200 outboards and was wondering what I need to do to upgrade to digital gauges so I can get fuel flow and consumption, etc. I know there is a gauge... Multi-Function Gauge – SMG4 available but would anyone have an idea exactly what is needed to install this and how to install it into the harness ?? Is it just a simple plug in?
    Last edited by Doc Z....; 06-16-2021, 03:14 PM.

SMG4 gauges are compatible with engines from 2015.

If you want to do the change, you should buy the kit that suits your engine - they come with different harnesses depending on whether you have single or twin engines and if they are mechanical or fly by wire (AP models).

And so once you have the correct kit, yes its pretty much unplug the analogue gauges from the engine harness, connect the new harnesses and then connect the gauges. You will still need a simple NMEA2000 network but only so the gauges get GPS data to them to enable them to show speed, fuel economy and distance to empty. The other step is to change where the harness connects at the engine - needs to be swapped over to the SDS plug.

Here is a link to Brownspoint where they show the available kits to suit various engine combos.
    https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...auges-c405.htm

Here is a link to my dropbox folder where I have a copy of the installation manual for SMG4. It shows the wiring diagrams for every conceivable combo and also runs thru the initial setup procedures that MUST BE DONE to make it work properly.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2fa08g7nw...glish.pdf?dl=0

Comment

Awesome...thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlighter View Post
        SMG4 gauges are compatible with engines from 2015.

If you want to do the change, you should buy the kit that suits your engine - they come with different harnesses depending on whether you have single or twin engines and if they are mechanical or fly by wire (AP models).

And so once you have the correct kit, yes its pretty much unplug the analogue gauges from the engine harness, connect the new harnesses and then connect the gauges. You will still need a simple NMEA2000 network but only so the gauges get GPS data to them to enable them to show speed, fuel economy and distance to empty. The other step is to change where the harness connects at the engine - needs to be swapped over to the SDS plug.

Here is a link to Brownspoint where they show the available kits to suit various engine combos.
        https://www.brownspoint.com/store/pc...auges-c405.htm

Here is a link to my dropbox folder where I have a copy of the installation manual for SMG4. It shows the wiring diagrams for every conceivable combo and also runs thru the initial setup procedures that MUST BE DONE to make it work properly.

OK....I got the gauge kit which has the harness for each gauge, gauges and the NMEA 2000 connectors with a power wire.............do I need the GPS part number 39950-88L00 in order to get the fuel flow/gph and economy or is that built into the motors and the GPS is only for GPS speed ??? Or can I connect that NMEA 2000 to my Humminbird Solix unit for GPS?? I ask because my 2006 Yamaha gauges which are similar are not connected to GPS at all and they read fuel burn and economy ??

Thanks,
        Russ

Comment

If your Humminbird is NMEA2000 certified and if you can confirm that it outputs GPS data to the network, then yes, it can be connected to the same network as the gauges and they will use its GpS data to do mpg etc etc.

You will have to confirm that your “bird does that, I have no idea. There is probably relevant info in the user manual, or contact their CS hotline.

Once you have the MSG’s connected up, and connected to NMEA2000 for GPS data, in the initial setup you need to go into the SMG Initial settings, pick sensor setting, then water speed, and turn it to off. This causes the unit to then use GPS data from the network for speed etc.

Did you get an installation manual with the SMG kit?

Comment

If your Humminbird is NMEA2000 certified and if you can confirm that it outputs GPS data to the network, then yes, it can be connected to the same network as the gauges and they will use its GpS data to do mpg etc etc.

You will have to confirm that your “bird does that, I have no idea. There is probably relevant info in the user manual, or contact their CS hotline.

Once you have the MSG’s connected up, and connected to NMEA2000 for GPS data, in the initial setup you need to go into the SMG Initial settings, pick sensor setting, then water speed, and turn it to off. This causes the unit to then use GPS data from the network for speed etc.

Did you get an installation manual with the SMG kit?
            Thanks...yes....my Humminbird is NMEA 2000 compatible and does share GPS info, etc so it should work. Interestingly I did not get an installation manual at all....strange....how do they expect you to install it without instructions.....I did get a small booklet on how to program the gauges though.

I'm guessing my Yamaha gauges in my other boat work w/o GPS because the motors have a built in speed sensor............do the Suzuki motors not have this? I have the 2018 DF200A.

Comment

https://www.boats.net/catalog/suzuki...0001/gear-case

Part 20-22 for speed

Comment

Originally posted by Murray View Post
                Thanks....I'm surprised this is not a routine part of the motor when you buy them new....but maybe it is...I have to change water pumps soon so i will check.

Comment

Link to my copy of the installation manual in my dropbox folder

As per my post # 5, the Suzukis do have water speed available to them but of course that is rarely very accurate, coming from the pitot tube tnat can easily get partially or fully blocked. Hence you turn it off to use GPS speed.
                  Last edited by Moonlighter; 06-23-2021, 07:29 PM.

Comment

As per my post # 5, the Suzukis do have water speed available to them but of course that is rarely very accurate, coming from the pitot tube tnat can easily get partially or fully blocked. Hence you turn it off to use GPS speed.
                    Thanks again....I got the instructions from your dropbox....you saved me.

Comment

Moonlighter,

Thanks for all the help with these gauges...it was pretty easy to install them once I figured out what what what on the harness. I did figure out which was the hookup for the Trim gauge which was not clear. I ran the boat this weekend and all went well. Hooking it up to my NMEA 2000 on the Humminbird is cool....now my unit reads all the engine data.

I do have a question on the Fuel Sending Units which again there is no info. Do you really have to calibrate the sender at empty, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full............I cannot believe there is not a way to tell the unit how many gallons are in on full and its determines fuel left by gallons used ??? If anyone has an idea on this please LMK......Also.....on the dual setup to both of the fuel sender lines need to be connected for each gauge or just one.............seems redundant to have to connect a sender to both gauges.

Thanks again for the help.......the instructions that come with these gauges are useless.

Russ

Comment

I think you can get away with not doing the multi step calibration, but it will obviously be as accurate.

FYi the fuel tank level from the sensors and the fuel used calculations from the ecu are NOT IN ANY WAY electronically linked in the gauges. For example, if you fill the tank, the gauge will show a full tank, but the fuel used figure will not change - you have to reset in manually. Thats just the way it is. It will not do what you are asking.

I am pretty sure that the tank senders on dual tanks only have to be connected up to one harness. I am assuming you got the correct harness? Eg the twin engine version?

Comment

I think you can get away with not doing the multi step calibration, but it will obviously be as accurate.

FYi the fuel tank level from the sensors and the fuel used calculations from the ecu are NOT IN ANY WAY electronically linked in the gauges. For example, if you fill the tank, the gauge will show a full tank, but the fuel used figure will not change - you have to reset in manually. Thats just the way it is. It will not do what you are asking.

I am pretty sure that the tank senders on dual tanks only have to be connected up to one harness. I am assuming you got the correct harness? Eg the twin engine version?
                          Yes I got the dual engine kit but each gauge has its own #12 harness that connects to the Port/Stbd main harness and each of those #12 harnesses has a tank sender hookup.............so I'm guessing I only need to connect it to one harness as you noted ??

I thought these may be like the E-Tecs....my buddy just had to fill his tank and tell the sender how many gallons it took full then the computer did all the rest of the calculations.

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                          X