DT200TC "W" No Spark, No Fuel Pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DT200TC "W" No Spark, No Fuel Pump

I picked up a 21' CC with a DT200 on it that had been sitting for a couple of years. It ran fine before sitting but had water in the fuel so it was parked and just sat. I have corrected the water issue but now I am having an electrical problem where the ECM is not powering on the fuel pump and there is no spark. It cranks but doesn't start. I have the service manual and have confimed that the neutral switch is in the right position, the kill switch isn't grounded, and I have power on the white wire. The relay for the ECM is working and passing power to the ECM and all of the ECM grounds are good. The fuel pump has 12v to ground when the ignition is on, but not 12v using the ground wire to the pump. The CKP sensor has no voltage with the ignition on and connected to the ECM and the ohms across the sensor are slightly higher than spec. I am no outboard mechanic but someone handy, I just can't seem to figure out what is causing the ECM not to pass ground to the fuel pump and plugs. Maybe the TP sensor or engine speed sensor, but I am not sure how to test those out. Any advice would be welcomed.

First question, what year is the motor?

Did you get a Suzuki service manual for this motor?

Have you cleaned all the plug connections to the ECM and the High pressure fuel pump?

The TP (Do you mean TVS - throttle valve sensor?) sensor (depending on year motor) changes timing for the motor rpms (related to Throttle Valve positon). This does not control the HP fuel pump. It should be mounted on top of the VST (vapor separator tank).

The CKP sensor (Are you referring to the "gear counting coil" at the flywheel?), If mounted close to the teeth of the flywheel tells the ECM the rpms and positon of the flywheel, but it needs to be the proper distance from the flywheel to count each tooth. This sensor is tested by checking the ohms. It needs to be what the manual suggests. But this sensor does not control the HP fuel pump.

Do you have the Suzuki guages working? Are there any flashing codes?

The Suzuki manual tells how to test the voltage for the fuel pump.

Has anyone tested the HP fuel pump, to see if it is stuck/working/bad, from sitting up?

The ECM voltage to the HP fuel pump, and the pressure regulator are what control the HP fuel pump. The pressure regulator is not electrical, but a pressure by-pass used to maintain a set pressure to the fuel rail.

Good luck, post back on what you find out.

Comment

First question, what year is the motor? 1998
      Did you get a Suzuki service manual for this motor? Yes

Have you cleaned all the plug connections to the ECM and the High pressure fuel pump? Yes

The TP (Do you mean TVS - throttle valve sensor?) sensor (depending on year motor) changes timing for the motor rpms (related to Throttle Valve positon). This does not control the HP fuel pump. It should be mounted on top of the VST (vapor separator tank). Nothing in the service manual called TVS. TP is throttle position sensor, sounds like a similar concept.

The CKP sensor (Are you referring to the "gear counting coil" at the flywheel?), If mounted close to the teeth of the flywheel tells the ECM the rpms and positon of the flywheel, but it needs to be the proper distance from the flywheel to count each tooth. This sensor is tested by checking the ohms. It needs to be what the manual suggests. But this sensor does not control the HP fuel pump. Crank Position Sensor, yes it does what you mention.

Do you have the Suzuki guages working? Yes
      Are there any flashing codes? No

The Suzuki manual tells how to test the voltage for the fuel pump. I have voltage to ground at the fuel pump but no ground in the ground wire from the ECM to the fuel pump.

Has anyone tested the HP fuel pump, to see if it is stuck/working/bad, from sitting up? No point testing until it has ground through the ECM to it.

Comment

Did some testing of wiring and sensors.
        TP Sensor vdc=4.96 (4.8-5.19vdc spec)
        TP Sensor ohms=1.5wo 1.0idle (0-5 spec)
        TP Sensor V1=4.96 V2=0.930 (V2 spec=0.595)
        ECM Power Supply=12.35vdc
        CKP Sensor Resistance=288.9ohms (160-240 spec)
        Engine Speed Sensor Resistance=212ohms (220-340 spec)
        Fuel pump just clicks when 12v is manually applied.

Comment

Working...
        X