Buy Suzuki Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DF90A Neutral Safety Switch in Binnacle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DF90A Neutral Safety Switch in Binnacle?

I have a 2012 DF90A outboard. It starts fine, RPM's ramp up fine until I get to 3000 rpm and then the motor starts to shake and will not go past 3000 rpm. I can shift into forward but it won't let me go past 3000 rpm. From all the posts I've read here and in other forums, I believe the problem is a neutral safety switch. I found the parts diagram for the neutral safety switch on the engine. Is there also a NSS in the binnacle? I can't find a parts diagram for the binnacle. A few questions for the group:
    - Does this sound like a typical NSS issue? The fact that it always limits at exactly the same rpm point leads me to believe it is a NSS issue.
    - Is it more likely that it is an NSS issue in the engine or in the binnacle?
    - Is there any adjustment or "wiggling" that can be done prior to simply replacing the NSS?
    - If it is an engine NSS that needs to be replaced, is that a reasonable project for a semi-mechanical person?

As an aside, this is a great forum. I really appreciate all the advice shared by the experts on the forum.

Yes it does sound like the NSS on the engine is the issue. They are a simple momentary switch. Check that its not just loose. Although mostly they will be broken, and not being expensive, they can be replaced, and without too much difficulty. You shouldnt have any problems doing it yourself.

The NSS on the engine prevents the engine revving past 3000rpm in neutral. The one on the binnacle prevents it being started in gear.

Comment

It sounds like the switch is stuck in the closed position, you may be lucky and it is got to much grease around the little leaver keeping it in the closed position. Remove the cowl, remove the nine 8mm bolts in the starboard cover with the tool supplied in your kit, look where the shift cables are and you will see it, clear the grease away and put the shifter in gear and you should see the leaver move away from the micro switch.
      Move the leaver with your fingers pushing it into micro switch and you should hear it click on and off, give it a spray with WD40. If you don't hear anything disconnect the plug connect your meter up on ohms , if it has failed closed there will be zero ohms on the meter.

Comment

I’ve purchased the replacement NSS and finally have time to replace it tomorrow night. I’ve had the cowl off and located the switch - it’s really buried down there. Can the switch be accessed for replacement with the removal of the starboard cover referenced in the previous post? Is the tool to remove the 8mm bolts something special? I’m the 2nd owner on the boat and not sure if there is a special tool kit on board. We have access to a huge collection of standard garage tools but if we need something special I will need to pick it up. Thanks

Comment

Did that fix it? Thanks for no follow up

Comment

Working...
          X