Do I need a transom saver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I need a transom saver?

Hi Everyone, sorry if this is the wrong forum to post on. I'm a new boat/outboard owner, a Suzuki DF25ATHL on a Lund SSV16 to be precise and I was wondering if I should be using a transom saver ? I don't think clearance is an issue but I'm wondering about the weight.

Many thanks !
    Steven

I don't feel qualified to give advice on whether you do/don't need one. I've heard arguments either way. But I use one with the DF25A on my 60 year-old aluminum boat.

Comment

I use a 2”X2” block of wood to give the skeg enough clearance so it won’t hit the road and keep the weight off the tilt cylinder. Do not rely on the tilt lock to hold the engine up when transporting the boat. If clearance isn’t a issue then I would leave the engine down. If there is a remote chance that your skeg could kiss the road then I would use something to support the engine. I’m cheap so I use a block, a transom saver looks so much more professional than the Willy Welfare chunk of scrap wood.

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys - it sounds like even though it may or may not be necessary, there's no downside to using...does that sound correct?
        I was looking at it this weekend, I'm not so I have a direct path from the raised motor to the trailer, I might need one that has an extension.

Comment

IMHO there is only an upside to supporting the engine. By supporting the engine against the trailer you are taking weight off the tilt cylinder and minimizing the bouncing on the transom which could cause issues with the integrity of the transom. Again only my opinion.

Comment

Working...
          X